Help Help Help getting first start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help Help Help getting first start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

I just finished putting together a 1914, the engine was redone by a reputable T machine shop, so I am out of the loop on what was done, but it did look good when I pulled the head and bottom. I set up the electrical end and just tried to start by hand, boy is it stiff. No luck so I jacked her up still no good. My son and I finally hooked up a strap and pulled down the road. She finally lit running on battery and mag, but I went back to the shop because the bands were not set right. Now that I can stop it when pulled does anyone have a good answer why it will not keep running, I know it is getting gas, how much is the question, pull it again starts up sounds like a T should but quits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Most (all ?) T carbs have a drain at the bottom of the carb bowl. Open it up and see how fast the gas drains out.

20 HP should be about 1 gal/hour. Put a bucket underneath and if you drain out a gallon in less than an hour, fuel flow should not be the problem. (probably best to do this outside ;o) )

Less than that, check tank, sediment screen & fuel tubing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

It sounds like a feel problem. Perhaps the tank sediment screen is plugged, maybe the fuel line from tank to carb. Another possibility is a plugged vent hole in the tank gas cap. Also, it could be a problem in the carb itself.

The first thing I'd do is check fuel flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Sam also open carb 1/4 turn. And,check gas cap to be sure vent hole is clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Try opening the spray needle more. A tight engine will require more fuel also don't forget to advance the spark till it's running sweet. Also check for vacuum leaks between the carb, intake and block.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration