Wire Loom To Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wire Loom To Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

The wires to my right headlight are in good shape, but missing their black cloth cover. That is, they are two separate wires. Any suggestions on something I could slip over them to improve the appearance? I was wondering if some kind of shoelace might work.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

This is reproduction asphalt loom that you can use. It is 1/4" which is fine for just two wires.
Here is a convenient auction (not mine), but it is available elsewhere too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140946484196?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

the locally-owned auto parts store here in Oroville carries that in stock (or did a year ago). And it was a lot cheaper than that auction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

I carry that size loom 1/4" @ $.50/ft We carry all sizes upto 3/4" www.rjlautofasteners.com 315-986-7121

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

It's certainly not an original material, but I have used this fabric heat shrink tube from McMaster-Carr.

fabric tube

I think the appearance blends in OK on the black car, especially after it gathers a little dust and age. It is more flexible than the asphalt loom and you can slide it over terminals before shrinking it. I used this for the loom of my accessory turn signal system. You can make much nicer joints than having to tape, etc. the joints with the asphalt loom.
You can see it on the right in this picture.

block

Best regards. BE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:33 am:

I was looking up some information in my past issues of the Vintage Ford the other day and saw a heading " Wiring on a Shoe String "
I have to say I did not look closely at the subject at the time as I was more intent on finding other information, but I do remember seeing that many years ago in the Tinkering Tips section of the V/F.

To cut a ling story short I think from memory that long shoe laces were used to form that outer cloth covering for the looms. Just simply cut off both ends and it allows you then to thread your loom through it.

If I get time later I will see if I can find the article again.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 07:31 am:

Here's an article I found on this subject:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cloth-Covered-Banana-Cables/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 07:45 am:

We also sell cloth covered primary wires in 10ga, 12ga, 14ga, solid colors or with tracers on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:09 am:

I got some shoe laces at KMart and used a little shrink tubing at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Shoe laces, brilliant! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Yea he used his shoe laces for his lights but now when his boots come off he can at least see where he is falling! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration