OT I need two bushings made

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT I need two bushings made
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Someone with a lathe,
I need two adapter bushings made. They are just cold rolled steel.

I would like trade some new end mills for them, if I could, or I will pay for them.

Would anyone be interested, if so PM me.

Here is what I need.

Thanks, Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Pat is that 1.188 really 1.1875 (3/16)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Pat, how much radius is allowed on the shoulder between the 1.375 & 1.88? Also, what radius do you need on the 1.188?
These are questions a machinist will ask!
Oh, and what are the tolerances? +/-?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:40 am:

David Dewey is correct. Same questions I would
ask. You supplying the stock? What size end
mills? Postage? sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Thanks for the questions.
I put this up to show you what I need.
I was a Tool & Die maker for 40 yrs, mostly making "investment molds", specializing in airfoils.

I have lots of new end mills yet along with other tools. I was going to buy a Bridgeport mill & rotary table, and a lathe when I moved, but things got in the way, and I can't afford one right now.

The 1.188 is going over a shaft, I will most likely have to heat it to get it on, I don't want it to be loose, but I can make it work if it's not tight enough. But I don't want it to loose.

It will be holding a bearing on the 1.375 dia. Up against the shoulder. I think anything around a 1/16-3/32 Radius would be ok.

The radius on the inside of the 1.188 dia can be 1/8-3/16, I can make it bigger if I need to.

The outside of the 1.88 dia needs to be smooth, a grease seal will ride on it.

This is a adapter so that I can put newer hubs on a '28-29 spindle on my I-beam axle, on my trailer. So that I can run newer wheels on it. It's the same as the one Speedway sells, but the 1.02 number is longer, so that I can get the hub out far enough for the outer bearing to work with the nut.

I could just buy the one from Speedway, but I'd still have to have some spacers made to shim it out far enough, or I could buy the '37-48 spindles, but I don't want/have to spend the extra money. I'd still have to buy the Speedway bushings.

I do not have the steel to supply, but the shipping of it would make it to expensive. It just needs to be made out of common cold roll steel, which is easy to come by, and cheap to buy.

Or, if someone wants to make me two bushings 1.88 dia, with a 1.188 hole, with a inside radius on one end, and to be .375 long, I can go that way also.
The bushings that speedway sells are only $17-18 each

Thanks, Pat

Here is a couple of pictures of some, someone made, and installed on their '28-36? spindles for their cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Ah, "Paul Harvey time"! I did forget to ask for surface finish, didn't I? And I can see, that for you, Pat, that drawing would have been more than enough for you to make the part--since you knew what you wanted--it's probably as much as I would have drawn for myself! :-)
So, all this project needs is; the metal, a lathe, and a competent operator with tooling. I've got two out of four, not enough to get it done! Oh, and a polishing machine (I'd polish the seal surface, I know, over-kill). If you lived closer, I'd say come on over and have at it! Plus I'd get some correctly sharpened tool bits out of it! (heh heh heh, sneaky, eh?) however, you're in TN, so maybe someone here lives nearby who'd let you use their lathe? Or! Just thought of this, a school with a lathe (do those exists anymore?). It really is a pretty simple project, an experienced machinist with everything at hand could likely do it in 15 to 30 minutes (bet you could yourself!). I have a friend who I know could do it, and would probably trade T parts for the job! But that's out here in Calliforny.
good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:04 am:

David,
Thanks for the offer still. Where I live( in the mountains of east tn), there is no school that has any shop in it. Sharing tools, everyone always had me sharpen their drill bits. It's funny how many good machinist's can't sharpen one worth a crap! We also made a lot of single lip cutters our self. I used a advance rotary table, and people always huh? We made what they make now without a Hass, or Laguna cnc's. We did get our fist Laguna cnc in late '80's, have Hass's now. I tried to get my brother to make them for me, but it's been 8 yrs I have been waiting for him to finish some parts I left for him to finish, and it's been about 6 month's I have been waiting for these bushings!
You could say, I Gave Up on him doing anything.

Is there anyone interested in making these bushings? Or just the spacers. (.375 wide part)

Thanks, Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:08 am:

They don't need to be polished to a mirror finish like in the picture, just smoothed with paper. I can shine them myself.

Thanks, Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:42 am:

You should get the Speedway bushings. I sure couldn't make them for $17-$18 on manual equipment.

"It really is a pretty simple project, an experienced machinist with everything at hand could likely do it in 15 to 30 minutes..."

"Everything at hand" are the key words. I don't know of any machine shop that would bill that out as a 15 minute job. Stock prep and setup would take longer than that. That's why most have a 1-hour minimum rate. And they'd be into stock for about $30 unless they happened to have 2" drops laying around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Agree with Ken - I could make these but it would likely take me no less than a couple hours. The Speedway parts are a bargain. I would buy them if I needed them even though I have everything it would take to make some. I can make more money doing other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:57 am:

I ordered eight 37.1mm to 53.1mm aluminum concentric hub rings for $14. Probably would've taken me 4 days and $50 to figure out how to make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Yes, I agree with Ken, and "everything at hand" meant, some round stock pieces laying about and the right bits in the holder. Hmm, and thinking about it; as usual, I was short-changing the machining time.
My friend's shop does now have a couple of HAAS machining centers, but sill has a couple of standard lathes, although you mention rotary tables and he uses those too. For a while, I worked for him, but he would set up the tooling; I'd just run it (well, I could tell when it was cutting right or not; I wasn't a complete dummy, and I helped him figure out some holding fixtures that saved set-up time, fixtures they're still using (twelve years later)).
But, Unless you are doing it yourself, you can probably buy a commercial-made unit cheaper than having some made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

You guy's all make this sound like a hell of lot of work to make! I have been doing this stuff for years, and I have always done things like this for people because they needed it. Not charging shop rate. Even when I was charging $75.00 a hour for rework, and $135.00 for straight shop time. I made to many things to count, for people for free, or for lunch, to help them out!

At the same time I had three work bench's in my walkout basement, and taught kids, and adults, how to build, and finish R/C airplanes, 5 days a week, free.

I was forced into retirement 9 yrs ago, and I still build or fly R/c every other day, since last summer, I 100% rebuilt a S-10 truck I got cheap, I mean from the back of the cab forward, I redid everything you can see, and not see, I mean everything! I worked on my Coupe, I reworked the inside of my shop. The whole time I take care of my medical handi-cap wife, and make things to sell, to make money to live on, and I take care of my neighbors dog & mail every day free, because he needs it done, and walk two miles a day, every day I can.

You guy's (some of you, that posted) sound old, and lasy, and have other people do your things.

As I said before, if I bought the ones from Speedway, I'd still have to have someone make bushings, because they are to narrow! So the Speedway ones aren't a deal for me! I'm not going to buy different spindles to be able to use the Speedway ones.

Don't take this as being, upset or mad, or bitch'n! I'm just an old man, that's young at heart, that's helpful, and lends a helping hand to others, that need it! Without asking how much!

Thanks To Matt! He's going to make them for me.

Pat

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration