Non-T coil question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Non-T coil question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Non-T, but could be if you have a distributor. If you turn the key on and the low tension wire going to the coil is hot, then if you short out the high tension wire, should it make a spark while you turn the engine over? I'm thinking yes. It's a 47 Hudson, always was hard to start, now no spark at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

If the low tension wire is warm it indicates the points are closed. That wire will be cold when the points. are open.

The answer to your question is no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I do believe, the spark happens when the points open and the capacitor discharges through the coil.

A hot wire is an indication of a shorted coil or capacitor or point set drawing too much current.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

or the term "hot wire" indicates that the wire is charged with electric current.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

O.K. Thanks. I forget how to work on newer cars. I'm either working on my T or driving my modern car that I can't work on at all so I forget the in between cars. I'll fool with it more tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

From what I remember on points systems, the coil fires when the primary field collapses (points open) and the collapsing field induces a high voltage spike to the secondary. There is a condenser on the points to reduce point wear from arcing. Condensers connected to the points will block DC voltage, but shunt any AC generated to ground. I did a quick search and came across this if interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_coil

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration