Radiator repair or buy new?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator repair or buy new?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

My radiator leaks more water than my shower head. Opinions welcome. New or rebuild? Also is there any shop that is preferred? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Buy new and put an end your problems with cooling.Throw away that water pump too !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

No water pump. Brassworks has both round and flat tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

G'day Jim,

I agree with Wayne. Your radiator is up to 90 odd years old and way past it's prime. The outlay is heavy but you will have many years of carefree running.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

I assume it's for the wide track in your profile. Get a new flat tube.

Ken on Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Thanks. Going to order the new one in the morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:49 am:

Whoa, wait a minute. If it's for the 1913, there may be another choice. Is the tank still good? If so, you may want to have the radiator recored. I did that with my 1915 for two reasons. I wanted to keep the original tank because the new ones are made differently. It was also a few Benjamins less expensive than a new radiator. Even if the tank leaks from a seam, I would go with repair and a new core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 06:31 am:

I got my flat tube from Burg's Not sure if he's still in the business though. Its a very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 06:46 am:

Steve-any idea where I can get it recored? I'm in SW Florida, not many T options way down here. I want to get this as original as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Jim,

Unless the radiator shop does antique car work, you run the risk of it not being done in an authentic manner. Had that happen with a "black" radiator years back. Works great, just doesn't look 100% right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 10:35 am:

If you don't find someplace closer, here's the shop that did mine. Tom also did the radiator for Rob's Model K.

TOMíS RADIATOR SERVICE
2341 184th Road
Sabetha
KS 66534
(785) 284-2080
tomnolte@sbcglobal.net

I've seen forum comments recommending a good shop in the DFW area too. Maybe somebody in Texas will post contact info for that one.

You won't get a new one from Berg's. Gery was making brass radiators for awhile, but gave it up.

If you're going for a factory correct show car, you want round tubes. I wasn't, so I got flat tubes because they cool better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Thanks for the information. I will get in contact with Tom. In the mean time I'll get the new flat tube while this gets reconditioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:21 am:

The radiator shop in Dallas is now named Centennial Radiator.
It was Clicks but now has a new owner. They still do antique and vintage radiator repair as before.

They are located at 447 West Mockingbird in Dallas off of Irving Blvd.
Their contact number is 214-634-8262

They are getting their new website online soon according to their temporary page. www.cebtennialradiator.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Sorry I misspelled the website!
Its www.centennialradiator.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Daudert on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Thank you all for the help and information. I will have this running!(someday)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

I echo Steve Jelf's comments. I initially had my radiator checked out by 112th Street Radiator in Spanaway, WA to see what needed to be replaced. He said that the tank was still good and that all I needed was a recore. It was quite a bit less expensive and I was able to keep an original part. My car overheated prior to the recore and now runs as cool as ever - without a water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I've had two recored with flat tube cores and they worked just fine. Stock '25 touring never again overheated and my Fronty speedster stays cool as well. No water pumps required. I used AAA Radiator in Redmond, WA. I have not had a brass one recored, the main man at the last place I went to for repair on a brass radiator (West Seattle Radiator) retired and the shop closed shortly thereafter. I think the trick is to try to find someone who still knows how to solder instead of just swapping out modern plastic or aluminum stuff. If they aren't 50 they probably don't have a clue (at least around here).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

I think any radiator shop worth it's salt can re-core your radiator, but it'll be with modern stuff. Mine here in Sacramento said they could.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

I agree with Wayne, Peter, and Ken. A 90-year-old radiator will make a great shop wall decoration. My T has a new flat-tube, no water pump, and you can't make it overheat. The price will sting a bit, but a year from now you will be glad that you did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Part 2. My radiator came from Berg's. He was very much in business in early 2015.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Gery Bergbower makes a FANTASTIC radiator - of my five Ts, three of them have Berg's radiators and am getting ready to purchase my fourth this spring. But Steve is correct, he doesn't offer a brass radiator anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

For what its worth my experience with the local radiator shops, old radiators from antique cars seems to get them off balance. They seem to go blank and tell you they don't try to repair or recore the old stuff.
The shop in Dallas has a good reputation but no one in my area ( 100 miles south of Dallas ) will touch anything older than the 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Recore is generally the way to go and if that is not an option then buy new. You won't be sorry either way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration