Local Model T club aids Affleck film

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Local Model T club aids Affleck film
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Monitor staff
Thursday, February 4, 2016
(Published in print: Thursday, February 4, 2016)

Members of the Central N.H. Model T Club joined other New England Model T clubs for a drive into the past. Specifically, the 1920s in Boston.

The car clubs volunteered their vehicles and, in some cases, themselves for the filming of Ben Affleck’s upcoming film, Live by Night.

The film tells the story of Joe Coughlin, played by Affleck, the son of a Boston police captain who becomes a gangster and rum-runner.

The movie, which Affleck also directs and co-produces, is based on the book by Dennis Lehane.

In November, the crew filmed scenes in Boston and Lawrence, Mass., aided by the car clubs.

Warren Henderson and his wife, Pat, of Dunbarton were among those who attended the filming.

“It was a wonderful experience and the production people could not have treated us any better,” Henderson said.

Other drivers from the club included Ken LeBlanc of Haverhill, Mass.; Vinny and Pat Greco of Pembroke and James Zabala of Massachusetts.

On the first day of their filming, the crew shot a scene of Coughlin and gangster friends making a get-away after a bank heist and driving the wrong way down a one-way street toward Henderson’s Seabiscuit. He and a stunt driver were in the car as the gangsters’ Buick hurtled toward them.

“I must say with each take, it was driving faster and faster,” Henderson said. “When I was riding in the car with (the stunt driver) my right foot kept pressing harder and harder on the floor board.”

Many of the car owners acted as extras in the background of shots, as pedestrians walking along Common Street or using the park across the street.

Sometimes shots required repeating the same thing over and over.

“Each day we would drive about half a city block, and then backed up and do it all over again about 9 or 10 times for each scene,” Henderson said.

There were also times when things were more exciting.

“It was a lot of fun traveling through Boston with police sirens blasting and not having to stop for traffic signals at any of the intersections,” he said.

The Model T driver did get the opportunity to meet with Affleck, in addition to other actors, crew and volunteer drivers.

“There was plenty of time waiting, so we had lots of opportunity to meet with fellow club members and make new friends, which was the best part of the whole experience,” Henderson said.

Live be Night is scheduled for release in November 2017.

Happy motoring,

Warren

"Live by Night"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Nice one Warren...

Also nice to see some East Coast T's get in the movies for a change.....not that the left coast autos aren't good, it's just nice to share the "limelight".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:23 am:

How cool is that! Warren, may I have your autograph and an imprint of your car's tires? What a fantastic literally once in a lifetime opportunity. So glad for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Myself and other Long Beach club members participated on the shoot here is Los Angeles. I met new folks and had a blast doing it. Funny part is I service Ben Afflecks car here at my work .Would do it again !!

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Hopefully, you guys saw some money as wel as memories. The going rate for a WWII jeep is $1500 a week, a little more if you need to drive it. But, you got to get a SAG card.

I hope when the movie comes out, you guys aren't sitting behind meat the theatre.

"THAT"S MY CAR!" every few scenes. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Thanks to Dave, Tim, John and Robert, we all had a blast and would do it again if we ever get the chance. John do you have any photos that you can share? Robert, not much chance that I will be sitting behind in a movie theater. I plan on buying the DVD when it comes out, so I can freeze my scenes and drive my family crazy. As I stated, “There was plenty of time waiting, so we had lots of opportunity to meet with fellow club members and make new friends, which was the best part of the whole experience,” Henderson said.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Jack LaRochelle's Model T
Vinny & Pat Greco

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Actually, the black roadster in front of Warren's coupe in his first picture is my car?

;)

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

Warren,

I think you & the missus should dress that way every day .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Hello Trent, I guess we didn't get to meet during the filming, some of us are talking about getting together later this spring/summer. I have proposed meeting in Rindge, NH at the diner, then taking a short drive to the Cathedral of the Pines and finishing up at Kimballs in Jaffrey for ice cream. Hope you can make it, post some photos if you have any.
Thanks, Freighter Jim, I will tell her that. By the way I worked in freight as a driver for Con-Way Central Express.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

How can I resize and post some pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 07:22 am:

John, that depends on which operating system you are using. You can try emailing the photos to yourself, this sometimes will let you change to size of the photos, then copy and save if you have the size you want. Hope this helps.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:17 am:

getting the hang of this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

John, looks like your doing a great job. Where was this photo taken?

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Here's a shot of what was just around the corner from John's photo:

My Aunt's 1924 Studebaker that our family has owned since 1954. This was Universal Studios New York Street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Thanks Bill, great looking Studebaker. In Lawrence they had the big Buick (Ben's get away car) a Whippet and Chrysler, in Boston there was a 1930 V-16 Cadillac along with all the Ts & As. We had a great time working on the film, even though we were told "no pictures".

Happy motoring,

Warren

Ben's Big Buick
Whippet
Cadillac

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration