Megaphone, muffler or not

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Megaphone, muffler or not
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Having decided to make a megaphone exhaust for my 26 gowjob project, I have been anticipating firing it up for the first time next spring. Unsure how loud a four banger is without a muffler, just thought I would ask, you know, police issues? Anyone here driving a speedster like that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Probably not an nuisance issue at idle, but just like a Harley, you can hear it when you crack the throttle quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Jon, They're not too bad if you have an open cockpit. When you install a top it gets noticeably more annoying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

It's never been an issue for me. It's about like a Harley, that's a good approximation. It's only really loud when you get on the throttle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

I don't know about MN, but here in CA unmuffled exhaust is illegal all by itself. Then, on top of that, is the matter of excessive noise, muffled or not.

Having said that, I have an exhaust cutout on my TT, which I believe is also a vehicle code violation, and typically run with it open. I've gone right past many cops and they just smile and wave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Like Henry says, I think the car itself buys you a lot of latitude with the cops. They have to be in a really bad mood to not smile when they see a T on the road AND be willing to write a ticket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

Here are three flag-outs from the Montana 500

No. 1 Muffler

http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/yearinfo/2013/Montana%20500%202013/Da y%20Two/M4H09386.MP4

No. 2 Straight-pipe

http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/yearinfo/2013/Montana%20500%202013/Da y%20Two/M4H09434.MP4

No. 3 Megaphone

http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/yearinfo/2013/Montana%20500%202013/Da y%20Two/M4H09436.MP4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Sorry Tom,
I wasn't able to open the files.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Yeah, me too. I just get a screen with a "Play" button, but nothing happens when I touch it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Most states if it was factory your ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Try opening it with Quicktime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

You could always build it like some hot rodders do with unmuffled headers. Make it so a bullet shaped glass pack muffler is hidden securely in it, but yet is removable if you want maximum performance and noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

On a PC, right click the file, save it, then open it locally. Don't know why they won't stream for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

I had to let them buffer up for about a minute before they would play. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

All 3 opened in about 8 seconds on my laptop. Megaphone sounds best.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration