Clutch Shift Collar Clearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch Shift Collar Clearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

In my tranny rebuild I found a few thous clearance between the clutch shift collar and tail shaft. Its not a mechanical issue since this is not bushed and is not a bearing surface, but zero clearance would contribute to noise reduction. (With a few thous clearance the collar will vibrate/chatter on the tail shaft, adding to noisiness).

It looks like the vendors don't make new ones of these, so its probably a moot point. But I'm just curious what you guys have found in yours before. Is this supposed to be a zero-clearance fit (not press fit, just zero clearance like a wrist pin), or is a few thous clearance normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

A few thousandths sounds normal. It needs to not be zero or you would have a tough time assembling the parts on the line.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration