Rear diff vent

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear diff vent
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Hey Guys I read on here be for when using the new adjustable pinion bearing the rear end builds pressure causing diff lube to leak out the axle . what is the cure is there away to vent the housing. Thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

What?!? Admittedly there's a lot I don't know, but I've never heard of such a thing. I sure don't recall seeing it in the axle book. What's the source of the alleged pressure? Gravity keeps the oil from going up the drive shaft tube. There's no seal on the drive shaft. Does the FP bearing act as a seal? I doubt it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

The rear axle does not need a vent. As long as you have good seals on the axles and don't overfill the differential, oil will not leak out of the axle housings.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

If I'm not mistaken, the forward bearing in the FP pinion set up is a sealed bearing. I suppose heat building up in the rear end, if any, could cause a slight increase in pressure inside the rear end, thus pushing oil out the axle tubes. Just my theory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

For pressure in the pumpkin to push oil out of the axle tubes, wouldn't the oil level have to be above the tops of the tubes? You'd have to install the whole works upside down to get the filler hole that high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Dennis, I have the non-adjustable FunProjects bearing set up and here is a pic of he forward bearing in the spool and bushing.It works great and is easy to install and does not need a vent.

TT

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration