Lower steering bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Lower steering bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I know there are several style and way the rods went through them but I was thinking the angle for the steering shaft
Or are the angles consistent
I think the TT TRUCK HAS A DIFFERENT ANGLE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 04:40 am:

Bob, I don't know if the angle is different or not. I suspect not. However the brackets are different due to the different depth of the frame rail. A TT bracket has a boss on the inside of the bracket, around the side bolt hole, whereas all the car type brackets are plain.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Bob,

There were a couple of different brackets some with different angles used on the cars. One example is the 1911 torpedo roadsters but there were others with a different angle.

The TT had it's own bracket. There is a photo of the TT bracket posted by Eric Hylen at the thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/18479.html that shows the part with the Factory Number TT932 cast into it. I suspect that TT932 is the factory drawing number of the part without the bushing installed. The factory number for the part with the bushing installed is TT 996. There may or may not have been some variations over the years -- but the part should function on any year left hand drive USA style TT.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 08:42 am:

My thinking on this is that we must remember a primary objective with the TTs was to use as many regular T parts as possible, but the heavier chassis necessitated a few accommodations. TTs used the same firewall as a regular T mounted the same distance back on the chassis. All the steering linkage, the column, etc. were likewise the same. The only aspect that needed to be accommodated was, as Allan said, the chassis rail depth. So, logic would say the angle was the same.

Just my $9.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Henry $9.02 that's rich
Hap I know the 11 torpedo is all together different animal
I mainly wondering if the 26-7 bracket has a shallower angles looking for late bracket for a buddy if the earlier style will work I give him one until he can find it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 08:10 am:

The TT frame bracket has a different angle than T bracket. The "steeper" angle placed the driver a little closer to the firewall allowing for a shorter cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Interestingly enough, the engines in late TTs were slightly different than regular car engines. According to documents I found in the Benson Ford Research Center the TT engines came with all steel one-piece valves. Regular T engines were still using the old two-piece valves.

Trivia.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Donald,

If it's true that TT lower brackets have a different angle how did they compensate for the other elements of the frame/steering column/firewall triangle? The firewall and the steering column are the same as a regular T. It would seem that if the bracket angle was different it would screw up the fit of the other components. It would also have required adjustment in the steering linkage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Henry exactly what I was thinking
Hood is same length firewall is the same
One thing I noticed today the TT bracket the hole that are in the bottom rail of the frame are about 1/2 further apart then on the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 04:11 am:

Bob M, I am fairly sure that a '26/'27 frame bracket does have a lower angle than the common '12 to '25 brackets did. I don't think I have one anymore to look at, but they look totally different (at least to me). The '26/'27 cars were somewhat lower and sleeker than the earlier cars, and the steering needed to be lowered slightly for driver comfort. All the bolt hole spacing is also different on the bracket if I recall correctly. I am not totally sure about any of that. I have never had a '26/'27 T, and have very few parts for them.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 04:30 am:

Dang! I had all of these brackets a while back, but I've sold them.:-(. I could have compared all of them. As far as the TT bracket goes, there can't be any difference in the angle, otherwise, as has been stated, the other parts of the steering column wouldn't interchange with the T, which, they do. I may run across some more brackets later, but, by then, I probably won't remember why I was looking for them!:-(. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:11 am:

In regards to '26-7, there's one bracket that hasn't been discussed. The Fordor uses a bracket having an identical column angle to the previous '25 and earlier bracket. Its hole spacing is different to accommodate the newer frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:55 am:

It is true that a fordor steering bracket on a '26 is different from the open cars. I am building a '26 chassis with a commercial fire wall. The bracket from an open car does not have the correct angle. I was told that a bracket from a fordor would fit. Can someone tell me if this is correct and the part # for the fordor steering bracket. I need one. If I had the number I can advertise for it on the classified ads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:03 am:

3539E for the 26-27 Fordor. Factory number was 997

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

The TT bracket is a different angle on RHD cars and I would suspect the LHD ones are also as Don Conklin stated.

The reason being the TT chassis side rail where the bracket fits is deeper and the bottom edge has more angle to it as it is getting wider as it goes to the rear.

A car bracket bolted to the bottom of the frame ( besides not fitting as the holes are not the same) is tilted down at a greater angle, the TT bracket had to be changed to move the angle back to line up with the steering column which is in the same place on the fire wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Thank you Tom Miller! I had wondered about that myself, but did NOT know. So, then, is the flange on the column different? Or otherwise compensated for?

Richard W, That probably explains the bracket I used on one of my speedsters years ago. It looked like the common earlier bracket, and was not a TT bracket. But the holes did not line up to the earlier frame. It was the only time I ran into that problem. I wish I had then known half of what I know now. I would have gotten another somewhere and kept the odd one for someone that needed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Wayne,

As far as I know, the round flange and square flange steering columns will interchange. A while back I published photos showing their angles are the same. I'm guessing the body sheet metal flexes or is stamped at a slight angle to accommodate any angular differences. In fact, my '26 Fordor had a round flange column installed when I purchased it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

That is kind of what I think. I have a project pile I started to work on several years ago. But then I bought the coupe and haven't touched that project since. The chassis is partially assembled as an about '25 with the proper firewall mounted along with several other things. I have a square flange '26/'27 steering column in it because I had it and had no idea what else I would ever do with it. It was a perfect and clean fit between the firewall and the frame with the typical earlier '20s frame bracket.

Actually, if someone not too far away needed a '26/'27 column in pretty good shape (not anywhere near perfect)? A deal maybe could be made. A simple trade would be best, but other things could be worked out. There is really no point in leaving it in a chassis that it isn't correct for.
I also do have a decent restorable square flange empty column, rusty with some original paint. Free if I can hand it to someone that needs the housing and has the gear case etc. Shipping could be done for either of them.
I have few '26/'27 parts, and seriously doubt I will ever buy a car that would need them.
Thanks again Tom M!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration