Low gear adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Low gear adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

I can put the the clutch pedal all the way down and it starts pulling but not very fast. I have seen other T s like my truck have a really strong feeling low gear. What would be the best way to go about this adjustment to improve this weak feeling low?? By the way reverse is very strong! Just fyi. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

I have my low band adjusted so that the band grips the drum tightly with the pedal 1 to 1 1/2 inches above the floorboard. Starting with that, then go through this procedure:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Sounds like you need to tighten the low band nut 1/2 turn at a time until the pedal is about an inch or maybe an inch and a half off the floor when engaged.

If you don't have a free neutral, what Mark posted is just the ticket. However, you don't have to go through all that every time you make a minor adjustment for band wear. Once you have all that linkage adjusted, it stays adjusted for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Tim,

Assuming you only need an adjustment and not a band relining...

1. on the right side of the transmission housing, (hogshead), loosen the 15/16 lock nut on the threaded stud protruding from the housing.

2. Turn the stud clockwise one turn, using the two flats to grab it by.

3. Try the low pedal to see if it engages better.

4. repeat 2 & 3 until you get the result you want.

5. tighten the lock nut.

Do NOT try to get a very high pedal. Just enough to make it grab is all you need.

If the adjuster screws in so far that there's almost no thread if left showing you'll probably need new band lining.

Also, buy this book!!! https://www.modeltford.com/item/T1.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

When you push the pedal all the way down, if the engine races, but the car moves very slowly, it would be an indication that the low pedal needs adjustment. Follow the above posts to adjust.

However if the engine does not race and the car moves very slowly, you could have an engine problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Thanks to all I will try the adjustment saturday. Maybe that will help it out. I am still very new to the Model T s and appreciate everyone's help. I have been on model A forums for years and never got the good tech info I get on this site. Thanks Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration