Rear wheel bearing with floating axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear wheel bearing with floating axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Malcolm Park on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Can anyone identify who might have manufactured this rear wheel bearing setup where the axle is floating and the bearing is attached to the rear drum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Malcolm Park on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

my photos were larger than 250kb... I will reduce the images and post again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Malcolm Park on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Here are two of the photos I attempted to attach to the first posting... drum with bearing housing mounted to drumfloating axle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Malcolm, I have just had an experience with a similar hub. I came to the conclusion that the hub was manufactured by Jess Bonar. Jess lived in Florida before his passing some years back.
In order to remove the stubs, we had to bore them out of the axle housings. In order to restore
the original bearings you would have to add back the
tubing that was bobbed to install the floating hub. In our case, we opted to buy a new set of floating hubs from John Stoltz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Can't read your comments as shown over the images.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Malcolm Park on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Thank you Lee!... This is my first post to this forum and you have supplied the answer I was seeking within 1hr of my posting!

Now the work begins!
Thank you,
M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Malcom, when you order the hubs from John Stoltz, get the installation kit. It includes the drill and tap needed to install the extra screws plus the socket for the hub bolts so you can torque them properly. http://modeltranch.com/show_product.asp?idProduct=36 Some say the screws are optional, but they aren't and must be installed with loctite 242 (blue). Also hub bolts are torqued to 35 lb-ft and be sure to peen them well. Be sure the axle is in good shape so that the inner bearing slides in easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Malcolm, I need to give credit to "Gator" Gould who was able to pinpoint Jess Bonar as the maker. I'm pleased that the forum has once again performed it's intended task.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Malcolm Park on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

@ John Zibell. Thank you for the pointers. I am surprised that anyone would consider pinnin bolts would be optional but I appreciate you pointing out the safety necessity.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration