TT steering wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT steering wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By curt brown on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Hey! I bought a 18" TT steering wheel for my project and it has a tapered center hole in the hub. It is 1-1/16" to 1" with a keyway. Is this larger than the car wheels? I trying to adapt it to a standard 3'4" DD shaft. Thanks Curt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

To the best of my knowledge there are no production steering wheels for just TTs. The TTs used the same steering wheel as cars. There were different diameters used over the years. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to tell you exactly what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Hi Curt,

Henry is correct; TT used the same steering wheels as the T. Can you post a picture of your steering wheel? I am sure that someone will be able to identify it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Curt, sounds like you have a wheel for some other vehicle. As Henry said, the TT wheels are no different than the car wheels, plus, neither used a tapered shaft or were 18" diameter. The largest were 17" dia. Hope this helps. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

I have a '25 TT and a '26 roadster and the steering wheels are the same. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By curt brown on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

What! You mean the seller on ebay only thought it was a TT wheel! :-) Well there goes my hope of finding a something like a steering column stub.
Plan B is to mortgage the house and have a machine shop custom make a tapered stub to adapt it to the DD shaft. Thanks y'all very much. Curt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Have them make you a new steering gear cap too. :-) It won't fit through the stock hole and there's not enough "meat" to bore it out that large.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

I suspect you'll be money ahead to just buy a real Model T steering wheel. I can imagine adapting that oddball getting pretty costly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Steve said exactly what I was thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 05, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

plus, most wheel spiders are made to bow upward towards the driver, but the T wheel goes down, towards the cowl. This is because of the steering gearbox and bringing the wheel towards the spark & throttle levers, so they can be adjusted while your hands are on the wheel. (you just use your fingers extended to manipulate the levers)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 03:49 am:

Curt, you could save your purchase if you so desire. I adapted a fatman wheel from another car by boring out the tapered centre hole. Then a turned down centre piece from a T wheel can be pressed into the centre of your new wheel. A scotch screw will make it captive and prevent it ever turning within the wheel centre.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Allan thanks mate great idea
Got few odd ball wheels around here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 09:40 am:

I don't know what kind of TT you have, but if you have a production C-Cab and possibly a closed cab....I think you want a smaller diameter wheel, not a larger one (18 in.) Try your body fit first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Just idea search pulley reducers
I think I T steering shaft is 3/4 ? Just bore out straight and add the adapter with rectangle key
I just bought one to try on ebay for $10

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration