Old Photo - Model T Era - Market Street Redding California 1924

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Market Street Redding California 1924
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Interesting picture with a lot of action. There is a horse and wagon on the side street next to the wood creates, a horse and buggy coming down market street two people crossing way down the street, a white "service car" on the right side of the picture and it looks like someone may be underneath the black car working on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I've been down that street many times. Too bad the neat light poles aren't still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

It is important to get rid of all that icky stuff so we can have sign ordinances and proper
code-enforced uniformity/conformity. Where would we be without cupholders, rear seat
video, and Starbucks ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Poor Market Street, it's been through many "redevelopments" over the years. This picture seems a bit unusual in that it's taken looking north, towards Mt. Shasta: most pictures I've seen are looking south. Bill Dugger, can you go downtown and figure out where this was taken, it looks like it might be the north end, before the street drops down to cross the river. Back then I don't think the street actually went that way, think it headed west to follow the river channel up the canyon. When Shasta Dam went in, it radically changed the route of Hwy 99 (now I-5).
When I was little, you drove down market street to go through town, then about 1963 they diverted the traffic one block, each side (one way streets then) and covered over the downtown section for a few blocks to make a "Downtown Mall." This also involved tearing down many historical buildings, and incorporating some into the mall structure. It was anchored on the north west side by a big new Payless drug store, and added a parking structure on the west side. Then, about 20 years ago, with most of the stores failing, they took down the covering structure and made an "open air pedestrian plaza."
Fortunately, the now-famous and restored Cascade Theatre was one block south of all this foolishness, and wasn't modified to fit in.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration