Stewart Coincidental Steering Wheel Lock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stewart Coincidental Steering Wheel Lock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:53 am:

I am looking for information on this combination steering wheel lock and battery/magneto switch I bought several years ago. The lock does not appear to have been used but the box has lots of "shelf wear".

I tried to post pictures but was not successful. The lock and switch combination was made by the F.W. Stewart Mfg. Corp. in Chicago.

Do I have all of the parts? Does anyone have any additional information about this accessory? I will try again to post pictures.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Stewart Lock 1
Stewart Lock 2
Stewart Lock 3
Stewart Lock 4
Stewart Lock 5
Stewart Lock 6
Stewart Lock 7
Hope this works.

The keys and lock number match the handwritten numbers on the side of the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Now, THAT is the best and neatest steering wheel lock I have seen yet!
Maybe not "neatest" as it is rather messy with the wires running around etc. But certainly "neatest" in the colloquial sense.
Thank you for sharing the photos!!!!!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

I have half a dozen or so different Model T accessory steering wheel locks but haven't seen one like yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Although it does not show in the pictures, there is a battery to magneto switch just under the key. There are only 3 wires even though it looks like more in the pictures.

What is the best way to look up the patent information # 1,541,773?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:16 am:

ooops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Although it does not show in the pictures, there is a battery to magneto switch just under the key. There are only 3 wires even though it looks like more in the pictures.

What is the best way to look up the patent information # 1,541,773?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:02 am:

I found the patent description on Google.com and found an interesting comment:

"My invention relates to improvements in means for locking automobiles against theft. More specifically it relates to an improved device for locking some part of the automobile, such as the steering wheel or gear shift lever to render the same inoperative and simultaneously opening the ignition circuit.
Looks for this general purpose have been proposed heretofore, but some of them are objectionable as they require two operations, one the turning of the key and the other the moving of some locking part, whereas others are objectionable in that the switch structure is combined/with the rest of the locking device in such a way as to render the switch inaccessible in case of repairs or replacement.
One object of my invention is to overcome these difficulties by providing a device wherein the simple actuation of the key results in locking the vehicle and simultaneously opening the ignition circuit - either battery or magneto. "

It appears Mr. Stewart in 1924 was ahead of his time with this concept of using one key to lock the steering and the ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Here's the full patent info.

https://www.google.com/patents/US1541773?dq=1,541,773&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil-e qq-OXKAhUU82MKHb62CDgQ6AEIHDAA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Is the F. W. Stewart Mfg. Co. the same one that made speedometers for Model Ts?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration