OT - Glad not to be doing cartwheels on the interstate .... :-) ... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Glad not to be doing cartwheels on the interstate .... :-) ... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Lucky Me ...

Lesson for today Boys & Girls ...

Check your driveline !

Every 2 or so years I buy a " new " tow vehicle.

I try to get a relatively low mileage original or two owner F350 CC Dually first generation PSD and they are getting harder to find.

I found a nice one w/ a 5 speed ZF.

Put it into service a few weeks ago & am very pleased.

As I get older it seems I get dumber as well.

One of the first things I usually do is rebuild the driveline & change the rear differential fluid.

Well - it has been cold & I have too busy (which are both really bad excuses) ...

Thursday I was in Kingman, AZ servicing my ZF tranny - I reached up to check the driveline & it was loose in the front yoke.

I found a driveline repair shop & because the u-joint straps were tor screws - I decided to have an adjacent shop drop the driveline ....

The front yoke off the tranny had a broken tab & a bad u-joint that could have slipped out at anytime.

Arizona Driveline welded in a snap ring shim & reinforced it to get me back on the road .... :-)

I still need to source a new yoke ....

That would have dropped the front driveline down & with the rear differential turning it - probably would have flipped my truck - probably would have been badly injured.

The rear u-joint was frozen solid at the rear differential.

MUCHO THANKS to Kermit's Certified Transmission and Arizona Driveline in Kingman, AZ for moving me to the front of the line & getting me back on the road late Friday afternoon ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Hi Jim,

Whew, dodged another one. I do believe that your good work, honest and fair dealings with your customers, and general positive outlook on people and life in general serve you well and perhaps provides some good Karma that follows you around and lessens or even spares you from some of the harsh blows of daily life. Be careful out there. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I try to do alot of my own work,mostly because I can't afford the high fees of a mechanic.But when i make repairs on a drive-shaft i always get the joints put on and the shaft or shafts balanced at a local shop.
I used to have a bad problem with my chevy wagon going thru rear seals in the automatic transmission. 50 dollar-ed me to death when i was driving it 60 miles a day and it would go out. Didn't have a clue what was causing it till I had a problem and let a neighbor overhaul the transmission at 256,000. He said it was minor and could a been repaired but for what he charged I had him do a complete overhaul and put a B and M shift kit in it. When I had this done my back was out so I took the shaft to a shop. The man ask, "Do you have rear seal trouble"? Yep, He ask if I minded him showing me why and I said of course not. He put the drive-shaft on a machine similar to a lathe and that shaft looked like a hula dancer! He ask if I would like it fixed, I said OF course. He proceeded to use a torch with a rosebud tip and a bucket of water and a rag. A few heat and cool cycles on the high spots and that shaft ran truer than new. 40 bucks for that and I have never had trouble since. Well worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I saw a car drop a driveshaft like you say. The front bit into something and the whole car pole
vaulted and cartwheeled ! It was an awesome thing to see that kind of force/s in action.

Usually, driveline chatter or vibration will let a person know something ain't right before the
vehicle does the crazy dance. Most people just don't pay attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Bill,

Thanks & I humbly will agree ....

Mack,

I am with you but the last time I attempted to drop my driveline I ran over my right leg - that coupled with the tork head screws on the straps was reason enough ....

Burger,

I did not want to make the evening news in that way ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Jim,

I'm glad you found out before anything serious happened.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Hap,

I have been blessed that when anything really bad might happen there is an intervention.

It might sound corny or hokey but believe my oldest sister Marie who passed in 1998 watches over me.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 03:34 am:

Wow Jim! You dodged another one.
I didn't see it happen, but saw the aftermath of a truck "pole vault" once. Not pretty.
Be careful out there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 07:03 am:

Glad you got it fixed up Jim, but my concern is that a forge yoke or a cast yoke. It is very hard to weld to cast correctly. Hopefully it will work until you can get a new one.

As I started to read about dropping the driveline, I had flashbacks to last years incident. Glad your fixed up, get a new part and most of all be safe out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:25 am:

There are differance in cast iron and also cast steel and when you say correctly remember the best weld is the one that doe's the job the cheapest! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration