Preferred type of head gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Preferred type of head gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

I previously used the composite head gasket without any additional sealant per the instructions - I think that was a mistake as coolant is apparently leaking into the cylinder causing it to misfire and steam is in the exhaust. My diagnosis may be wrong but anyway I intend to pop the head to see what is going on. My question is, which of the three available head gaskets (copper, steel or composite) is preferred and what, if any type of sealant should be used. Also, my motor still has standard pistons, compression is good and the head has never been shaved. Should I have the head shaved and if so, what is the maximum amount that can be shaved without adverse effect on valves, pistons, compression, etc. Thanks for your recommendations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Copper gasket, and spray it with Copper Coat before installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

I use "used" copper gaskets :-) Re the head, get it checked and just clean as/if needed. You could go 1/8 inch and should not have valve or piston interference. Copper coat or even grease and 45-50 FP torque. This is a low RPM and under 4:1 compression engine. I like the copper head gasket and haven't had any problems with the ones sold by the suppliers.

Re composite gasket; when we put those on model A's we spray a couple of coats of shellac on both sides and install while still tacky from the last coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

I buy the copper but have not had trouble with composite. Copper Coat is good. The only head gasket I had develop a leak was from head bolts that bottomed out before completely tightening. They can stretch or the holes can get gunk in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

I have had trouble with composite/silicone head gaskets. I am fixing to pull the head. I'll replace the gasket with a copper and copper coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Copper copper coat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

When I talked about composite I do not mean the ones with silicone, just the plain composite with fire rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Victor 101.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 08:51 am:

I use copper gaskets well coated with Kopper Kote prior to installation. When torqued correctly (both sequence and tightness, as re-torquing), I have never experienced trouble. Last engine I tore down, the previous owner had used grease on the gasket and it leaked. I don't know if he bothered to re-torque it after a couple of heat-cool down cycles though, but I do know it did leak in a couple of places. And yes, the long block had been professionally rebuilt for the previous owner, so the surfaces were decked and flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

I go old school... Copper head gasket, installed after I paint it with silver paint. It is installed while paint is wet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Thanks to all that responded to my question - copper w/ copper coat sealant it will be.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration