Splash aprons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Splash aprons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Can I not take the splash aprons off of my 1924 coupe without lifting the body up off of the frame? One of the bolts that goes through it looked like it should have been accessible from inside the cab, but not so. Thanks for any advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

David I have a 24 Coupe that I disassembled and restored.
You can remove the 2 bolts as I remember fairly easily. I removed the front one inside the cab and the other one just over the rear wheel.

Without looking I think the front bolt is just under the floorboard riser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Maybe its under the trunk pan, I cant tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Maybe its under the trunk pan, I cant tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Just went downstairs and crawled in and under my April '24 coupe.

Each side apron has two body bolts that sandwich the apron between the body and frame. These bolts must be basically removed. the front-most one is under the floorboard, and should be easy to get to with the floorboards out (can be done from underneath if you had to). The one nearer the middle of the apron is right behind the gasoline tank, and is reachable from inside the trunk next to the farthest forward panel inside the trunk. You may well have to have someone actually climb into the trunk to reach it. I keep telling people that one day, I will go camping with the car and sleep in the trunk (do NOT lock yourself inside!!!).
In addition, there are two large wood screws at the rear of the apron that attach the apron to the body sills from underneath. Easily reachable on my car from underneath. There should also be one (or two?) small bolts to the frame at the front of the aprons. They should be reachable from either under the hood, or under the car, whichever is easier for you.
It may also be necessary to do something with the rear hood latch. It does not attach to the apron, but goes through it and will try to hang up.

Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

Remove the radiator, then the right and left fender irons, and you splash apron will come off.
There is only one splash apron per car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 02:10 am:

Sadly, Larry S, this is one of those that may never be resolved. There may be many books out there that say you are right. But, as a colloquialism, the side aprons have been called splash aprons for a very long time by many, many, people. I can't even say that they are wrong. The side aprons/shields protect the side of the body from the splashes thrown up by the front (and to a lesser extent rear) wheels. When I was a kid, I was told they were splash aprons. I have looked in old reference books myself. Many of them agree with you. I have also seen a few that call the side aprons "splash aprons". I should check a few more sources just for my own betterment.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 03:27 am:

I was told the apron below the radiator is the "radiator apron." After all, what splashes would it prevent? :-)
Larry, I just HAD to stir the pot! :-)
David

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration