Would you post pics of running board demountable spare wheel carrier brackets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Would you post pics of running board demountable spare wheel carrier brackets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Looking into adding this to my 1920 T with demountable...
I see a bunch for just the tires but really don't see one for demountable (or does it matter, the brackets fit both)

A few questions:

1. Did they make a double carrier for demountable?
2. I would like to see how they are attached to the body/running board.
3. Did ford make these or were they aftermarket?
4. Was there ever a tool box/spare wheel carrier? Something like a circular tool box that fit inside the wheel/s?

Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 03:10 am:

Hi Bob,

Ask and you shall receive. The double carrier on my '14, for a 30 x 3 and a 30 x 3 1/2. and then some boxes fitting into the tires.

All aftermarket. Ford did not produce these. I hope that this helps. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:03 am:

Barney's accessory side mount (1925)Uses parts of the Ford rear spare mount. I am missing the piece that locks the rim to the holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William P Schubert....Bay City, Michigan on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 05:56 am:

The spare tire carrier on my 1920 Runabout is very stable and isn't in the way. Added a tire cover this past Father's Day.tire carriertire carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Jack Daron makes a nice set of brackets for a single spare - one part mounts on the running board and the other uses the windshield post bolts and one screw into the body:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:43 am:

I have two of these one mounts on the running board and the other has been adapted for a rear tire carrier on our 1927 speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Here's a nice Brass Era set we have for our 1913 Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Thanks Bill... You guys are the best! Those double wheel carriers are really nice. And that inside storage is really cool (and clever) I wonder what it was used for.
Do you think it was originally made as luggage or for tools?
And now for the search! Let's see if I get lucky and find a double...
Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Hi Bob,

You are welcome. You asked: "Do you think it was originally made as luggage or for tools? "

Yes. Put in what ever you want. Some of them were made more as luggage than as a tool box and those had a handle to allow it to be carried into the hotel.

Also, know that these carriers came in different diameters to fit into different sized tires/rims. I have one from the period which is too big it fit inside a 30 x 3 1/2 tire.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration