Old Photo - Grandpas T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Grandpas T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:19 am:

The only photo I've found of my great Grandfathers Model T. Taken in about 1933, I think the car is a 1924 or similar.

My Grandpa can remember it was only ever crank started after jacking up the rear wheel. He was also telling me they crashed into a ditch due to the poor lights with the engine idling. So I'm guessing it was a non-starter car with magneto headlights.

The Model T was replaced with a 1928 Oldsmobile, this photo taken around 1940.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Dave,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Note, the Model T in the photo has the radiator splash apron typical of the 1924-1925 cars and was also typical of the 1924-1927 Ton Trucks. But the right front fender does NOT have the folded over lip to match the radiator apron. Or at least to me it looks like I am seeing grass in the background rather than the folded over lip. The vender without the lip was originally provided on the 1917-1923 Ts. And note that the right side headlamp is clear and is not fluted. In the USA the fluted "Ford H" lens came out around Jun 1921 ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps .

So even by 1933 you can see that parts would have been replaced etc. Perhaps they hit something and the right fender and headlamp were replaced with an earlier style? Do you have other information to let you know if it was a car or a Ton Truck?

And the tires (tyres for down under) look larger than the standard clinchers to me. But I've been fooled by that many times. I looked and I can see that it had the Canadian Kelsey style demountable rim on the right front. I looked but from the image I cannot tell for sure if the rim has or does not have the two holes typical of the Canadian 21 inch balloon tires. See photo below:

(Thank you Chad for posting these photos from your car).

I would not rule out that the car was a starter equipped car but that the starter was no longer usable. My Grandfather's T had a starter -- but they never had the extra money to maintain it and afford a battery, and you didn't need it to start the car. So they always hand cranked their starter car. (No they didn't by it new or it would have worked for a little while.)

If you send me a higher resolution photo I'll try to zoom in and see if I can spot any other details. You can click on my name and that will bring up my profile and my e-mail address is the third line down.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Dave,

Thank you for sending me the higher resolution copy. I can now see that the right front fender does HAVE the lip on the front which matches the radiator apron.

That would be typical 1924-1925 car or 1924-1927 Ton Truck radiator and fender.

I looked but I did not see any holes in the rim for the Canadian split rim tire spreader. So at this point I agree that it is a 1924-25 car or 1924-1927 Ton Truck based on the fenders, radiator, and like items.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap 1915 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Dang Hap, that was 10 years and another house ago. I started looking at the photo before I did the reading (typical guy, LOL) and said that looks a lot like the wheel for my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Hap, I am inclined to agree that the starter perhaps was not functioning. It is my belief that once the starter/generator was available, all our Canadian sourced cars were imported with them fitted. The nonstarter/magneto cheapies were not part of the offering in Australia, other than on the TT's.

I could be wrong again.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 03:09 am:

Thanks Hap. According to my great Grandfathers writings he bought the car in 1925 and it was a Tourer. A shame the rest of the photo was lost.

The farmhouse in the 2nd picture still exists at Mountain View.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 03:56 am:

Allan, up until about June 1925 the option of non-starter was still being advertised in Oz, but that option, except for the TT, seemed to disappear around that time

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration