Its becomeing scary to drive my T or modern car.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Its becomeing scary to drive my T or modern car.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

This past week coming home from Mexico an eighty foot wide sixty foot deep sink hole opened up two days after stopping for 1.90 fuel next to it in Brookings Oregon. At about the same time our favorite eating spots owner was T boned in his Honda by a kid with no drivers license or insurance. Ten broken ribs, hips broken, heart damaged and lung punctured. He looks like he is going to survive. Most of my driving can be done near home but there is more and more dangerous situations each time I drive with our town growing and peoples attitude towards a slow moving vintage car. Two days past a 13 year police officer was shot and killed serving a warrant in Sea Side just south of Warrenton. It seems like most of the issues are coming from dope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

My wife and I watch the nightly news and just shake our heads at all the violence throughout the country. I just don't understand what these kids today are thinking. Unfortunately it isn't just the kids...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Paul,

Look on the bright side. You can legally fire up a doobie in your state. That way you can be stoned out of your mind while the state taxes the living daylights out of you, and ignores law enforcement and public safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

lane departure systems, Collision avoidance systems,and all manner of other technology have lulled some of us into thinking it is safe to go on the road..... but as of this writing there is no technology that will slap a teenager up side the head, no technology that will keep your car from being stolen if you leave the keys in it, and no technology that will extract ones cranium from one's own personal biological hazardous waste disposal chute! Until we invent that technology no one is SAFE! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

I blame all the violence on the fact that there is no prayer in the schools or at public meetings, no respect for elders, no accountability for being bad, everyone is a victim.
The Bellamy Brothers have a song on youtube that sums it up very well. It's called "Drug Problem"...The song tells of how he was drug to church...drug to school...drug to the woodshed... etc. a very good tune.

Bring God back to the schools and town halls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

I can't type enough words to say how much I agree with all the posters have stated here. My last interstate driving trip in October to a tractor-engine show there was a runaway logging truck barreling down on me from behind and i was able to snuggle up to the vehicles in the left lane and the truck barely missed me as he was tearing up the guard rail passing me at over 50 mph. I can honestly say i think the Lord was looking out for me that day. I gave at the office in regards to being rearended by tractor trailers already and am so glad it didn't happen again.

I blame some of it on video games. There is so much killing and wrecking going on with those games and they just push reset and go at it again. They carry that attitude to the road and don't realize there is no reset button on life.

And to be honest, I think cars are to safe in some aspects. They can park for you,tell you when something is to close,slow down for you,and purty much take the paying attention part out of driving. The drivers main job now is to keep the radio tuned and seat adjusted proper,which alot of cars even have that memorized.
I say bring back manual steering,manual transmission,manual brakes and dials on radios and then folks can't be distracted from the operation of their car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Mack - There are a lot of reasons why driving has become so much more dangerous nowadays. The "truck driver" aspect of it is only a small part, however, my humble opinion, for what it's worth:

Truck drivers (real truck drivers) used to be some of the safest and best drivers on the highways, and, to be fair, there are still a lot of them out there. However, I honestly believe that there are also far too many people driving these big monster over-the-road semi's that are anything but professional truck drivers. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but obviously, it is possible to become legally licensed to operate one of these huge tractor-trailer rigs, even if you do not possess the necessary knowledge and driving skills to do it safely. Some youngster from, say for example, the midwest, where highways are relatively flat, can (for the first time ever) pick up a load destined for the West Coast, find himself (or herself) in a mountain range, and start down a very long downgrade and for the first time (in other words, due to inexperience) find out that it's possible to run out of air and panic when he or she becomes the driver of a runaway heavily loaded tractor-trailer rig. (....that's what those "runaway truck" escape routes in the mountains are all about,....).

Also Mack, you talked about modern cars being so easy to drive,....that applies to the absolutely largest and most powerful tractor-trailer rigs too! A ten-year-old little kid could easily steer the biggest Kenworth, Mack or Freightliner tractor with no trouble at all! Notice,.....that for fear of saying something offensive or discriminatory, I used a little kid as an example here, rather than any of the cute little 110 lb female truck drivers that I used to see climb down out of their semi trailer truck tractors at our Seattle intermodal freight ramp on the railroad when I was still working,.....

Anyway, yes,.....driving nowadays certainly has some hazards that have developed along with all of our society's modern "progress",......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Yea a friend that recently retired still had his class A's and decided to drive a semi cross country for a while just to get out and see the country. He had handled fire trucks his adult life and drove for the state as well.
He wanted to opeate a straight drive truck. The company had to scrounge thru it's inventory to find him 1! All they used mostly were automatics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

One more little "rant" and then I'll quit,......I promise!

After a lifetime of being involved in the transportation industry one way or another, in fact, as a young guy, used to haul loads of steel all over the Chicago area from the mill or foundry, to all kinds of little machine shops and such with all kinds of trucks up to and including tandem axle diesel tractor trailer rigs that, in those days, certainly did NOT have power steering and such, I have (obviously) developed some strong opinions about transportation industry (truck, intermodal and railroad) safety:

In as short a "rant" as possible (for me) let me just say,....don't get me started on topics like powerful trucking industry lobbies in D.C. that have somehow, over the years, successfully pushed through legalizing such (in my opinion) such unsafe things as ridiculously huge 53 foot trailers, and not only "doubles" (semi trailers & "pup" trailers) but in some states, like Oregon for example,....."TRIPLES"!!! Any experienced professional truck driver that is being completely honest with you, will tell you that there are far too many "situations" involving the likes of rain, snow, ice, mountains, etc, ect,.....whereby "stuff" happens that leaves them with a rig that they do not have adequate "control" to operate them in a safe manner! Anyway,....enough! Like I said,...."don't get me started",...ha ha,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Our local newspaper is small enough that they still publish the results of the county court proceedings. I am amazed that about 3/4 of the cases are for no driver's license. I shudder to think that these are for only the ones caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

I have this crazy idea. Maybe some of you have heard of this ?

"Personal responsibility"

Can you imagine ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Oh yeah, ... sorry. That's someone else's problem now !!! :-P

I have installed an inappropriately loud horn on my truck for use when I see people
using their phones while driving. It amazes me how badly it shakes them up when I
lay on it, PROVING they KNOW what they are doing is wrong and dangerous. Most
look as if they need to go home and change their skivvies.

WTF is wrong with people that they can rationalize such duplicity ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:18 am:

I don't know Burger but it would be nice to put a face and a name to the problem so elections could be used to start filtering them out of the system.

I always lay down on the horn when I pass a texter or someone on the phone that is swerving over on me. Why not,the life I save could mine or theirs or even yours. They need shaking up,they need waking up,and when they screw up,they need to be held accountable.
With all the new tech in cars, a cell phone jammer would be so simple.It would prevent these people from being distracted while driving. But oh,I forgot,their call is more important than our lives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:31 am:

As a class A instructor told me last week.. It used to be that the people that come here to learn to drive a truck were "Farm Kids" or "Middle America Kids" wanting to see this great land of ours in person, What we get now are chronically un-employed urbanites looking for a quick buck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:42 am:

G.R., you just said a mouthful. I agree!
Drugs also are a big problem, both the young and the old take way too much to to be driving, that includes prescription drugs.
People drive when they are tired, they drive vehicles in poor condition and a lot drive way too fast for conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:02 am:

1 God is a big boy and he can go wherever he wants, including school. I would guess there's still plenty of praying going on in school whenever a big test comes up. What has been removed? Government show-prayers. For those who want that, I recommend advice found in the Gospel of Matthew 6:6.

2 Things change. People don't. Ever hear of Kate Bender, Jesse James, Charles Ponzi, Bruno Hauptmann, and Cain? We've always had thieves and killers. Technology has changed to help the thieves and swindlers, and to bombard us with constant news about them. News is, by definition, that which is uncommon. For every low-life scumbag, there are lots of decent, honest, respectable people. If the latter ever become news, we really will be in trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:16 am:

We surely know and hear more today. Both good and bad. Our personal bad experiences inflate the bad. No doubt. More people more chimps that talk. As to T street driving around here it just plain sucks. Stop & turn lights don't help a bit. You can't do most posted limits and who drives the limit in a modern? I stuck to driving in my development which has the only posted limit I can break. 25 MPH. What killed it for me was when stopped at a light waiting to make a left (turn sig. on). The light changes and the guy behind me cuts out to my left and made the turn before I even started to move. If I had moved into the turn he'd have sliced me in two. Broad side hit on the driver's side. Think about that for a spell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Being a retired truck driver of 36 yrs. when traveling, I notice a lot of stupid stunts pulled by truck drivers and drivers of cars alike.
I was grandfathered in to the CDL. A lot of These guys on the road today had never drove anything bigger than a P/U, go to truck driving school for 3 weeks and they turn them loose with a 65 ft. 80,000 truck.
I retired in 2000 and it scared me back then dealing with these guys. We drove at night if possible, now days. Most of these guys must think truck driving is a 9 to 5 job. All the rest areas are full along with all the truck stops. I still travel at night when possible. Very little traffic.
Now days they can't read a map. On the news, awhile back there was a 23 yr. old girl with a big rig, got off route and tried to cross a 100 yr. old iron bridge in southern Indiana. 10 ton limit very low clearance. Knocked the bridge down. She said she got off route and her GPS told her this route. Stupid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Driving home the other night in my modern, I noticed a guy behind me up close even though I was 5 mph over the speed limit. The road goes through some pretty curvy sections, then straightens out for a long straight first downhill, then long uphill. My street is a left turn just after the bottom of the run. this guy is right on my tail, and there is an oncoming car that passes us just before my turn. My signal is on, but the clown behind me zooms around me (double yellow line, BTW) just as I am ready to turn. Fortunately, I was watching him in my rear view, and anticipated that, or he'd have hit me right in the driver's door. Because of the oncoming car, I couldn't move over into that lane like I usually do to prevent such a thing. YES, I laid on my horn good and long! Maybe I should dig out the air horns I had on my previous truck when I commuted up the Feather River canyon every week--That was for self-protection there! Made my little Toyota sound like a Kenworth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:50 am:

I've mellowed since retirement - when I'm being tailgated, I just pull over to the shoulder and let them pass so that they can zoom ahead and tailgate the next guy. After all, I'm retired, I'm not in any hurry. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:55 am:

David,

Forget the air horns. My feeling is get a bazooka.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

If anything I have learned about California driving is few drive the speed limit and most are well over it! Also learned my night vision is not as good as the past so driving this time of year a place to stop is a necessity by four in the after noon. If you get caught in home bound traffic trying to drive the limit you will be run over with folks who drive the road daily up and down 6 percent grades with long drop offs on the road sides. Log trucks drive the roads daily and often are one truck length behind you on sharp curves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

When you interact with the Public at large every day,
there is an inherent element of risk that goes with the interaction.

By choosing to drive on public roads you accept that risk.

I am on the road just about every day.

Minimizing that risk is what I am mindful of.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 03:07 am:

When I have some dumb&&s tailgating me, I just touch the brake pedal with my left foot. That usually gets their attention. If not, I do it again, if not then, again. My left foot doesn't get tired very easily, I can go for miles that way. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Pergande on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 04:06 am:

David...I always figured those types of dimwits think I will go faster if they tailgate me. But I don't tap on the brake pedal, I just take my foot off the gas pedal and go slower and slower. I sometimes get them down to 5 miles per hour. I find out how slow they want to go. And when they finally do swing out and pass me, I love to see their mouths just "a rattlin away" at me. I bet they remain hot under the collar for a half hour. At least they got something to talk about when they get where they're going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Statistics can be annoying. The least safe year for driving since the feds started keeping such statistics was 1921, when the death rate per 100,000,000 miles traveled was 24.09. The safest year per 100,000,000 miles traveled was 2014 with a rate of 1.07. The decrease between the two specified dates has been pretty much continuous and linear. There has been no year in the 21st century with a death rate over 1.51 per 100,000,000 miles traveled. Having said all of that, I remember a quote: "The improbability of disaster is of small comfort to it's victim."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:08 am:

The death rates have steadily dropped until recently. in the past few years the death rate has increased. I do not remember the numbers, but it is significant. While drunk driving numbers are down, impaired driving numbers are up thanks to cell phone usage and texting. When a person is in an accident, they are usually checked for alcohol or drugs, but it has come to a point where the person's cell phone needs to be seized and checked for usage. Currently, it is possible to sue a bar tender for serving drinks to a drunk driver the time will come when a cell phone provider could be held accountable for giving service to a person who has a record of driving while impaired with a cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:24 am:

David: I use my trailer brake controller for that purpose when not towing :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I wonder how much road rage effects the death rates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:59 am:

I occasionally do as David does, touch the brake pedal to send a message. I've been told this is considered "an aggressive act" by law enforcement and the courts and that I shouldn't do it for that reason. My thinking is "Bull*hit". The aggressive act was the other driver tailgating me in the first place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 11:44 am:

I miss military protocol.

My ECP

ECP sign. Reads (basically) you WILL be shot.

My favorite saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

I took my grandson to my dads 12 miles away last weekend on Saturday morning in my model A and at least 3 times pulled over at gas stations to get the new car off my bumper talking, text and driving. I would pass before i would ride peoples bumper!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

I think it all depends what you're driving. I used to have an old hard top mail Jeep painted desert camo that I used while hunting and running errands. It was beat up, filthy, and had blood stains on the hood and roof from transporting bagged deer out of the woods. No one ever seemed to even park close to me in the most crowded lots or ever messed with me. But, I've had folks tail gate me while I'm driving the Model T, only to roar around me giving me the "finger" while passing. However I've had a lot more people tailgate me to pull in behind me when ever I stop someplace to ask me about the car. And on the whole, I've had a lot more smiles and friendly waves than obscene gestures. So I can put up with the few morons and their annoying driving habits. I won't let them ruin my day or my drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

In the area we live in, we are very fortunate to be able to drive many back roads. That is why we decided to host the 2016 MTFCI tour in July. If you want to enjoy some laid back driving on rural roads, this is the tour for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

65 years ago when I was a teen ager, I got into some trouble too! I drank a whole bottle of wine and got into my car. Next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital. I had hid the keys to my car on a shelf where I had to climb on a stool to get them because I didn't want to drive (before I drank the wine). I don't remember getting the keys or of driving the car. Just waking up in the hospital. My car was totaled and fortunately no bones were broken, and no one to my knowledge was hurt or killed. The car was about 3 miles from home on top of a pile of rocks and one slide had green paint on it. Don't know where the green paint came from. They say,"If you drive don't drink" And, "if you drink don't drive". However, sometimes one under the influence doesn't do what he intended to do!

Another time I was with a car full of teens and I lit up a cigarette. I wasn't a smoker but I did it anyway. The distraction caused me to rear end another car in front of me along Pacific Coast Highway between Santa Monica and Malibu.

So these problems have been around for many years, but some of the laws have changed so that other drugs than tobacco and alcohol are more readily available than before.

Our laws have legalized Pot and also have minimized the sentence on drug users.

Anyway, it is always wise to be very aware of those around you when you drive, because someone else might be impaired or have vehicle maintenance problems. And many roads are in poor repair these days.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Up date on my friends Honda accident. Andy is back in Warrenton after his stay in Portlands high test hospital. Other then his broken hips you could not tell he came very close to meeting his maker! I seen an X ray of his broken ribs on the left side. The guy who hit him is hardly a kid at twenty five. He has NEVER had a drivers license or insurance. Guess if you get away with it just keep doing it!
Wonder how many more of those boys are driving in my area.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration