Groove in end of rear axle bearing cage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Groove in end of rear axle bearing cage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Probst on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

See the groove worn in the end of these cages. The cages are tight and the rollers are measuring fairly okay at .498 and .496.

Are these bearings usable with this groove? What likely caused these grooves?

Outer bearing:
outer bearing

Inner bearing
inner bearing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

I have one on one end like that, and no I didn't notice right away so don't know where it was on the axle, it will go to the inside on rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Use it... it'll roll forever. That happens when the axle keyway slides in too far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I always put the best bearing with the end of the rollers with the largest diameter on the outboard side of the axle.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

I can't remember off hand what causes that but I can tell you it's very common. Go ahead and use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Agree use it might shorten the key a tad on that side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:30 am:

Just my two cents worth, This only happens on the inner bearings. It is caused by the woodruff key that locates the gear on the axle shaft. If the key protrudes beyond the gear, (toward the bearing), it will cut a groove in the bearing cage. It might weaken the bearing a bit, but I've used several without problems. The outer bearings are too far from the hub/axle key to cause any interference. If the outer bearing has a groove cut in it, you have a MAJOR problem with the hub/axle fit!! Or someone put a bearing in the outer position that was formerly in the inner location. OK I think I've beat this dead horse sufficiently. Happy motoring all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Probst on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Thank you all for the responses. I plan to use them. I agree with you, William, that these were probably swapped back and forth over the years and an inner became an outer at some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:41 am:

In the #2 photo: is it an illusion or do those stake/punch marks protrude into the cut area? If so someone definitely was in there and staked it after it got "groovy". Can we get something more definite about where it happens? So far in and out both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:47 am:

William,

YES! That's it. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Look at the nice chamfer on the edge of the retainer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration