Question regarding 1909/1910 spark and throttle controls

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question regarding 1909/1910 spark and throttle controls
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

I'm restoring a 1909/10 steering column, which is pretty pristine condition. I have removed the spark and throttle controls so I can get them re-plated in brass as per original.

My question is: These controls look to have more of a pronounced bend away from the steering wheel than I've normally seen. Both bends are equal and show no signs of someone reefing on them. Both fit well and correctly on the quadrant. Does this look normal?

I have another 1909/10 column already in the car, and those controls don't appear to have quite the amount of bend these do. I have a 1911/12 column and those controls seem to match the 09/10 column mounted in the car.

So, looking at the photos, I'm asking if these rods appear correct or should they be straightened out before being plated, or plate as they are. I just don't know enough about the very early columns to make this call without asking for your opinions. Please see photos and thanks very much for the help.

09 control rods to be plated

09/10 column mounted in car

11/12 column

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Those on my 1910 touring are straight like those shown for the column in the car photo (second photo). They do not have the pronounced bend as in the first picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Les, this is a picture of the steering col. Out of my early 1909, I don't believe it's ever been apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Kim, Thanks for the photo. Looking at your column and my control rods, they appear similar. Maybe the very early columns had more of a pronounced bend??? Maybe a carry-over from the "S"??? or new jig which didn't match the first one????Just guessing, but this answers my question and I will not mess with the bends, and just re-plate as is. Mike, I appreciate your response too, as it possibly dates the column already in my car.
Thanks again

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration