Windshield pillar attachment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Windshield pillar attachment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Can anyone tell me if the two bolts that attach the windshield pillar to the body for a 1924 Touring extend though the kick panel or are they supposed to be concealed by the kick panel (recessed into the wood pillar)? I have seen it both ways on cars but have never seen any original wood pillars with recesses in them for the nut and washer so I am thinking the correct way is for them to extend through the panel and be exposed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

The cardboard panel is held at the top by those nuts over a washer that secure the bolts to the windshield stanchions.

Here is original kick panel on '24 touring, you can see one of those nuts over the panel and are exposed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Thanks Dan for the information including photo! Knowing this means I can now finish nailing on the passenger side body panel tabs that bend around the top of the wood pillar.

Are those two bolts that attach the dash to the stanchion in your photo brass? If so are they also original or are they suppose to be painted black?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 09:27 am:

The dash fasteners are oval headed single slot machine screws, nickel plated brass. The upper one uses a special rectangular nut, as its a tight fit up there, you can't use a wrench on the nut. The special nut just turns and locks itself. The lower one is regular type square nut and lockwasher.

Vendors make nice interior screw sets, or you can use a stainless steel one there. Over time the nickel will wear off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration