Photo: Mn Plate 14961 Erik Johnson

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Photo: Mn Plate 14961 Erik Johnson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Great photo. The store front and the T are particularly nice. I wonder what the other car is?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Minnesota 1912-13-14 plate #14961 was registered to Ole Gilbertson, Frost, Minnesota for a Ford.

I could not find him in the 1909 or 1910 registrations so perhaps Mr. Gilbertson purchased the car used.

Note that it is a tourabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Thanks Erik. I always hope that some day you will discover a picture or serial number of some ones car that still exists. No one is doing what you do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:55 am:

Is the other car a Hupp ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 04:25 am:

I am not certain, but I do not think it is a Hupmobile. Based upon the general shape of the radiator, and the front fenders, Hupp is a good guess. However, the headlamps do not look correct to me for Hupmobile. That is risky to say, because earlier Hupps had headlamps similar to that. Then they raised them up higher and larger. Touring cars did not come out early enough to have these on the model 20. The model 32 came out in 1912 and went through '15 if I recall correctly. The headlamps (gas at first) started up high, then lowered over a few years. But by the time they were lower, they were also electric. Of course, the headlamps also could have been changed.
The radiator also went through a similar change. The first model 20s had a short neck. Then the neck became remarkably tall (a Hupmobile feature). The first model 32s had a similar very tall neck, then it became shorter.
The fenders, look very much like Hupmobile fenders. Especially the front fenders. The body lines are also very similar to the model 32 touring lines for 1912 through '14.
The kicker, though, is the front axle. Hupmobile was one of the few major producers after 1910 to put the tie rod in front of the front axle. (I think, if I recall correctly, that Cadillac was one of the other few for a couple years.) When I zoomed in on the photo above (not always easy for me), I could not see the tie rod. I also noticed that the front axle was a fairly heavy and curved forging. I googled Hupmobile to confirm what I thought I was seeing, and found that the front axles of the cars of appropriate era did not have axles that looked like this car's.
So. While Hupmobile did use most of the characteristics I can see on this car, the combination didn't really come together in any standard Hupp to match this one.

The car in the photo does appear to be about the size of the model T. Hupp could work out for that, but they are deceptively small. Up close, in person, the model 32 is barely the size of a model T, although they are a bit heavier. The model 20 even smaller. After 1915, Hupmobiles got larger, and heavier (including the front axle). But they did not look like this car.
And I do not have any better guesses. So, anyone else?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration