Identify This Carb Stove Pipe?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Identify This Carb Stove Pipe?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

I picked this up at Hershey last year and haven't been able to find any information or advertisements for it. It appears to be an accessory carburetor stove pipe, but I can't tell if I'm missing anything.

The stem at the bottom is some sort of spring loaded adjustment attached to the brass plate seen on the interior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Dan:

My '26 coupe had one similar, with 'Lacrosse pat pending' stamped on side but lacking that screw adjustment. The carb end of mine has vanes cast into the interior presumably to 'spin' the air as it enters the carb. I'm reluctant to use it when I finally get it running b/c the vanes really restrict the cross section at the entrance to the carb. Respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Thanks, James.

This has the same "vortex" vanes on the inside as you describe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Dan I have had several of these thru the years. I have seen two different names on the casting. I have never seen an ad for one yet. They are a nice looking part, but I question how they would work. If I was to ever use one I would at least remove the spring and bolt. Here is a pic of the other name on the one I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

I have two,but would have to look at them to see what name is on them think they would work fairly well without the spring thingy. They will work on the earlier cars.The later ones don't fit on the brass years very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Dan, I just posted this item under ACCESSORY OF THE DAY with the original instruction sheet.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/613702.html?1454981443

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:56 am:

I had one labeled "Air Friction Co." I tried it on my car and it ran lousy. I removed the propeller inside and it was better. Then I used a grinder and removed the vanes at the bottom, so it was just an open tube. Then my car ran great! So a plain tube, as Henry put on the cars, works best. But these aluminum ones do look good with an aluminum intake and a brass carb. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 11:17 am:

I have several of these. I did some experimenting with it a few years ago. It does not hurt power as much after removing the little brass restriction and then boring out the cork screw section helps more.

If you remove it completely then the engine runs best. The engine does not run very well with the device installed as per the original instructions. I think that may be the reason that you find these so frequently looking like new.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration