1918 carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1918 carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Monthey on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

I was wondering if someone can can tell me what model carburetor would a 1918 model t touring car originally have.

I'm having trouble with my first model t and I think that's my problem. It currently has a holley nh with the swivel needle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Kingston L2 with a double choke arm or a Holley G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

David,

The encyclopedia on this site is a great resource (besides this forum) for questions like yours.

Here's a link to the main page:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/

And the link directly to carbuerators:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#Carb1

That said, the Holley NH can be used on your car and is probably the simplest and the best all around carbuerator you can run on the Model T.

What makes you think that's where your problem lies? There is already lots of information available on the forum with regards to troubleshooting, but feel free to ask away. It's usually something very simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

David
Here is my experience.
I have never found anyone who would give good reports on the Kingston L2 even after properly rebuilt.
On the other hand, notwithstanding the fact that the Holly G is complicated to rebuild (unique parts that are difficult to repair) and best left to experts, but when done is a very reliable carburetor and not temperamental.
Your car probably has a replacement Holley NH which is easy to rebuild and works well as a cheap replacement for an original and more difficult L2 or G.
I recommend you find a used Holly G and get it rebuilt by an expert and I think you will be very happy with the performance.
Stan Howe does a very nice job of rebuilding Holly G carburetors.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Monthey on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

I believe the carb is the problem because the car dies anytime I try to drive it almost like a fuel starvation. I've eliminated the tank, cap, filter, and line as the culprit.

I removed The nh that's on it today and noticed everything just seemed loose and worn out on it. There seems to be too much movement on the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

1918 would have a single choke arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

LIkely the 1918 Model G would be cast iron,and not brass.I have a cast iron one or two I would sell. PM me if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

It's quite possible the NH is your problem. Not because it's an NH, but because it needs to be fixed. Until I get around to rebuilding a G, I'm running an NH on my 1915 and it's fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration