Just bought a 1919 Ford Speedster.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Just bought a 1919 Ford Speedster.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Hi.
I'm new and so is my car....to me.
I'll be needing help and encouragement.
I'm a Manual Machinist since I was 13.

Can't wait to get delivery.
Whoops-Hello!
Simon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Congratulations on the acquisition, and welcome to the affliction. Here's something you'll need: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Thank You.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

We want pictures!!! Must see Car. . .Oh look, a squirrel!!. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Mike here's a link to a great 16 page article on tuning a Model T for durable touring.

http://www.evmtfc.com/Milts-article.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

David, he doesn't have the car yet. I am sure pictures will be forthcoming. In the mean time keep saying to yourself:

I will wait patiently. I will wait patiently. I will wait patiently....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:18 am:

I will wait patiently. I will wait patiently--OOOHH, Ice Cream truck!.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:22 am:

And we all scream for ice cream! :-)

Welcome to the land of insanity (on a good note) Mike! And start planning on the next one....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Welcome Mike and congratulations on your purchase.
"Welcome to the land of insanity" We put the FUN in dysfunctional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Welcome to the forum, lots of good information on here. You will always get a answer if you ask a question!! Again great site and people who know these cars inside and out! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Welcome Mike and congrats on your new find. Listen to these guys, they have a world of knowledge and a few of them like to pull your chain too :-) all in good fun. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years now and all I have done is build a new garage for it. Hope to put it on the road this summer.
PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I wanna see pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

OK Seth, this is where I got in trouble. . . .
Ooh, a butterfly!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb - Lake Forest - So. CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Here's a 1919 Speedster:
Will it do until we get Mike's?1919 Speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Mike welcome. This is by far the best place for any questions, or just plain old comraderie. Most on here are wonderful, and there is also the occasional "cranky old fart". We do like to see pictures (Seth go play with David"s squirrel till Mike posts some pictures). Till you get the car, not much more we can do, other than encourage you, and try to assure you, that they are very fun and addictive. I may suggest to try and figure out how to post a picture, It can be anything, we do not care. Your shop, the gravel in the driveway, a picture of a squirrel for David and Seth.:-) The pictures must be re-sized to less than 250 KB. I usually shoot for around 200 KB as I have found out that if I go for close to the 250 KB it still thinks they are too big ... . Keep us posted ...... Have fun and be safe .... Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Someone please post a picture of a squirrel driving an ice cream truck chasing a butterfly for David .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Linda says, "GREAT! They've got you pegged!"
Ooooh, shiny hubcap. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:10 am:

And may Gawd have mercy on your soul, proceed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Mike,

Welcome to a great hobby and a fun message board! While you are waiting for your speedster to arrive I would recommend you contact the nearest Model T club. Looking on the web site I think The Foothills Model T Ford Club in Calgary, Alberta maybe the closest one to you. At around 300 km or 186 miles you won’t be able to just drop by. But if you contact them, there is a good chance they will know one or more Model T folks much closer to you. Their web site is http://www.foothillsmodeltfordclub.com/about.htm . And if you want to check out the other Canadian T clubs they are listed at: http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15#C anada and http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#cd Note that last link has link to Kristin Anderson who is listed as a point of contact for the Foothills club.

You can learn to drive the T all by yourself. Or you can read some books (see the owners manual at: http://www.mtfca.com/books/bookmenu.htm and go down to Instruction Manuals – I think the 1921 will be close to your car unless it does not have a starter in which case read the 1911 that talks about non-starter equipped cars. They all drive the same – but they start easier with the electric starter.) Or you can have someone who is experienced in driving Ts give you a check out. The later way is quicker and safer. For example if your speedster has a manual advance spark – then if you forget to retard the spark the engine will backfire. Not good for the starter – either the electric one or your arm. [Caution: at one time the majority of broken arms were caused from trying to start Model T Fords. – they are safe to start – but they will bite you if you hand crank them incorrectly. ] You will almost meet a new friend if you as one of the other Model T folks to check you our in how to drive your car.

You didn’t mention it or I missed it. Is your car a project – i.e. in parts to be restored and assembled or is it already a car that is running and ready to drive?

You mentioned you are a Manual Machinist which I would think means you already have a good understanding of engines, gears, clearances, lubrication etc. Have you maintained or restored any cars in the past? [ I don’t mess with my wife’s Toyota – it is all computerized, doesn’t have any manual carburetor adjustments – it doesn’t even have a carburetor…] But I enjoy tinkering with my Fords and VW bug.

If you car is drivable, I would recommend reviewing the safety items listed the second entry down especially about T’s and leaking gasoline vs hot water heaters or other open flames (aka furnace). Please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576808.html Note if you have a significant other – having them break their arm while helping you start the car is often the end of funding for the T project or if you can spin the story right -- a great incentive to fund an electric starter.

And for more information about speedsters – I would recommend check out the Northwest Vintage Speedsters site at: http://www.nwvs.org/

Finally – look for “Made in Canada” and “Made in USA” on the different parts of your car. Many cars near the USA & Canadian border have parts from both countries . But Ford of Canada continued ot produce more and more of the parts used on their Model Ts.

And welcome aboard for a great journey – probably a little slower than the Porsche club – but one heck of a good ride.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

One point that maybe should be stressed a bit more, (being a speedster), is modifications from factory. It is true for both basically stock type cars and speedsters. Everything from Ruckstell axles and added braking to carburetors and what kind of oil you should use can be hotly debated topics. All may be hated or loved by well informed people.
Being a speedster makes such modifications more likely. The most important factor is safety. Things like added gearing and higher speeds adds to the need for reliable braking. Telling us about your car and the accessories (and changes) it has could get you some very important advice.
Being a long time speedster guy, you may even get advice (good or bad) from me. For what it is worth? I prefer speedsters that are close to "era correct". But do appreciate most others as well.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the speedster! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

"I'll be needing help and encouragement. "

Just give me your home telephone number and I'll call you each morning around 7:30 and get you up and going. No problem.

Let me introduce you to two new words for your vocabulary. Cotter Pins

Enjoy and welcome aboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Welcome,

Check in with Chris Bamford, I think he is near Edmonton I'll send a PM with his email address. Chris and his buddy drove his speedster from Edmonton to Silverton Oregon and back this past year. Prior years he drove to Dayton, WA and Leavenworth, WA.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:07 am:

I'll add a couple more words to your vocabulary, ##%%&&&*@ and **&^^)(##. Hey, it happens now and then!:-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration