Old Photo - Model T Era - First Street Looking East, Napa, California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - First Street Looking East, Napa, California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Can any read the title on that movie poster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

I zoomed in a lot, and could not make it out. It looks like Naughty ??? And ??? LAK ? ????
I googled a few things, and read "Mighty Lak A Rose" on Wikipedia. It was a song released in 1901 that became a common standard for many years. But no mention was made of a movie. At the bottom of the poster it appears to say "NEW" ??????? "PICTURES". Which doesn't yet ring a bell in that dusty attic I call a memory.
Been to Napa a number of times, and even driven antique automobiles there a few times. (Home away from home, right David D?) I sure don't remember it looking like that. But I do remember some nice areas.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

later:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4115/photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

The buildings along the right side of the street have survived for another day but a track hoe is finishing off the old theatre.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

From the comments section of the link I posted above:

"The Hippodrome Theatre was open during the 1920ís. It was later taken over by Fox Theatres and re-named Fox Theatre by 1941. During the 1940ís it was operated by Blumenfeld Theatres.

The Fox Theatre was still listed as open in 1952, but closed in the 1950ís and was demolished."

I think the site had something else on it for 50 or 60 years and whatever it was is now being replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:42 am:

I tried to zoom up on the poster but could not make it out. The image became pixelated when I zoomed in. I believe it is the three-sheet poster for: MIGHTY LAK' A ROSE (A First National Picture, released: 12-Feb-1923). I could not find an image of the three-sheet poster but there is one-sheet shown on Wikipedia. Note: You will have to cut-n-paste the complete URL (below) into your internet browser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Lak%27_a_Rose_(1923_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Lak%27_a_Rose_(1923_film)#/media/File:Mighty_Lak_a_Rose_-_1923_movieposter.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:55 am:

I found this. It doesn't look like the poster in the photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mighty_Lak_a_Rose_-_1923_movieposter.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Richard,
The poster shown in your link is a one-sheet (27"x 41"). The poster on the side of the building is much larger. It is probably the three-sheet poster (41"x 81"). The different posters had different artwork (most of the time) but the poster on the building seems to have the same elements: The man, the blonde, and the collie dog. I can't be absolutely sure, since I cannot find an image of the three-sheet, but I believe the poster on the building is MIGHTY LAK' A ROSE.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration