I thought it was a head gasket problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I thought it was a head gasket problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I still don't know for sure but I got it to start today. It runs but pops back through the carburetor. I think the white smoke I saw may have been coming out the hot air pipe instead of the gasket. It's hard to look and crank. I had a truck do that once and a push rod came loose. That can't happen to a T but a valve could stick open I suppose or break since they are the 2 pc. valves. I'll have to investigate more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Corey,

May I suggest that the first thing you do is check the oil. Drain some oil out of the bottom petcock and check the color of the oil. If it looks milky, or like coffee with cream, then water is getting into the engine oil, most likely because the head gasket is leaking. If the engine oil still looks black, then engine cooling fluid is not getting into the crankcase.

Assuming the oil looks like used Model T engine oil, with the engine in neutral, pull the engine over with the hand starting crank, slowly. What you are looking for is low compression on one or more cylinders. If a value is stuck in the open position, or if a value has broken, you will feel little or no compression on one or more cylinders using the hand crank.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine if the head gasket is leaking coolant into the engine, and if not, help you to identify which cylinder(s) the problem most likely lies in.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Don't know if this will work on the Model T, but a tech tip for my other vehicle is to remove the spark plugs and put a kleenex on each spark plug hole laying loose on top. Turn the crank over the cylinders with compression will blow the kleenex off it's hole and the one with no compression will not, or very little. Small styrofoam cups work as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Corey,

Just hold a thumb over the spark plug holes, one at a time, and have someone crank the engine. If your thumb gets pushed off the hole your compression is at least "there". I'll bet you find one however that you can keep your thumb on. Bad compression. Remove the head.

Best things about the above "test". It's fast & it's free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Save your wine bottle corks, after 4 bottles you have a free compression tester. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Wine bottles have corks?

My wine doesn't even come in a bottle. B.Y.O.B. means bring your own box in my household.

The white wine is especially good. Not with fish or pork, but for paint stripping glass black off my Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 11:31 am:

I knew I saved all them corks for something.

Corks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Corey, I'll peek my head in here.
Is the "popping" Back thru the carb very rhythmical or is it every once in awhile?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

It could be a sticking valve if it's been sitting for a long period of time. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration