Advice on cleaning a gas tank needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Advice on cleaning a gas tank needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Monthey on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

In response to some advice I got on here I'm going to take my gas tank off and clean it out. Not to sound dumb but I don't know what the best way to do that is.

My question is, is there a preferred way to clean it and what should I use to clean it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

The way my grandfather used to do it was a couple handfuls of gravel in the tank. Pour a gallon of gas around and make sure everything is sealed up nice. Slosh this mix around for awhile, drain and empty and repeat until it's cleaned to your liking. Just make sure you get all the gravel out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Monthey on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

That's awesome. I like that method. Kinda simple yet effective. I guess I could marbles or steel bb's instead of gravel just for the ease of getting them out.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

I used bb's. I strapped the tank to my flatbed truck and drove around for a few days to keep it sloshing around. After I got all the bb's out I kept filling it with water and draining it til stuff stopped coming out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

At present mine is rotating around in my son's concrete mixer, with a big bunch of tek screws inside. These can be counted in and out, and they can be lifted out with a magnetic probe if they take too much shaking.

hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

My preference is pea sized gravel, sharp gravel, not river gravel. The sharper sides of the gravel serve to scrape rust and debris from the sides of the tank. I add some diesel fuel or kerosene to the mix. I do not like gasoline as it is too volatile. Slosh the tank by what ever method you prefer until the rust is removed from the sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Crushed rock will work, but two or three lengths of chain will be easier to remove after you're done. Jack a rear wheel off the ground, bungee the tank to it, and let the turning wheel tumble the chain in the tank. Change the position of the tank on the wheel a couple of times so all parts of the inside will get scoured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I think you have a touring. Why mess with it, just buy a new one and be done with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:44 am:

A while back someone recommended using a box full of 1" dry wall screws and shake the tank like crazy. I never tried that method but sounds like it might work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:53 am:

I agree with Ted. Buy a new tank and you're done worrying about it. While you're at it disassemble and thoroughly clean the bulb. Also, if the gas line is original or old, replace it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I like (and have used) the "new tank" method but if you have a 26/7 cowl tank they don't reproduce those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Broken storm door safety glass. It breaks into a gazillion harmless 1/8" size pieces, all with sharp edges. I Use TSP and a gallon or so of water. shake until you get tired and then stop and build a mechanical shaker of some kind.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration