Unusual govenor for T engine.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Unusual govenor for T engine.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Here is an unusual governor I got from the estate awhile back. Never seen this one before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:04 am:

That's not a particularly good method to govern and engine unless there's some parts missing. Simply choking the intake would cause the engine to run rich and fowl the plugs. There must be some parts that mount to the open area to act on the carburetor throttle. Perhaps some type of lever and rod.

(Message edited by ccwken on February 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Wouldn't it just work like a throttle? If it's between the carb and the intake you just leave the carb's throttle wide open and let the governor act as the throttle. Am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:23 am:

I could be mistaken but I believe the butterfly is installed between the carburetor and the intake. This would not foul the plug, but rather control the speed of the engine.

I wonder why anyone would need this. Is it possible that the Model T engine with device was used for some type of power plant for another application? i.e. generator or saw mill?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Donnie: Those used to be common at Chickasha in years past. Must have been used on power plants. I have couple. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I think Seth is right. This just acts as a throttle. I believe the only part missing is the cover for the throttle stop/cam. Seems like an expensive part to buy, since the governor also includes a generator ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:34 am:

This could possibly also act as a "maximum speed" governor. It could be set to limit the top speed, to the speed wanted, Then the Ford hand throttle could still be used to slow the engine down or idle. Could have been used by trucking companies to slow down their "speed demons"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:37 am:

They were used on irrigation pump motors in the corn belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

The Twin City tractors used a similar method.
My 17-28 has a throttle lever hooked to the throttle plate on the carb and further upstream is the throttle for the governor.
Works perfectly! I have all control until full throttle, then the governor takes control. Looks as big as a generator but it's all governor weights inside, with an adjustable rod on the output to set engine speed. :-)
Cool stuff!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration