Steering Lock Removal on 23 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering Lock Removal on 23 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

I removed a small screw on the side of the steering Lock and it screwed right off. When I screwed it back on it it didn't go all the way. I tried to take it back off and it stopped after a quarter turn. Since I don't have a key, I assumed it was unlocked or broken when I took it off the first time. How do I get this thing off? It has SF YALE 47 on the lock.Steering column Lock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Had a similar lock which my father in law took to a local locksmith who looked up the lock number in an old book and made a key that worked. I would never thought of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

I took the steering column to the locksmith today. He had the key blank but had me leave it. The code was in his book since it was a YALE lock. I don't know why I asked for two keys. Since it's a Touring, it's not like I'm going to lock the key in the car.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:57 am:

I had the same idea with a lock on one of my T's, never need it till I got home from a run and had no keys as they had slid out and through the floor boards so now I order two keys just in case also a week later a guy rang and said he had found my keys as the name tag was still on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I have one on my 26 coupe. Have yet to figure how to remove the entire locking assembly from the steering column. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Jerry, I had one one a 24 T that was a mystery for a while. Think of the lock as a steering gear cover. It is threaded on like an original cover with normally one exception. The manufacturer wanted to make sure the cover (lock) could not be unscrewed. What I found was a peened over and smoothed over set screw that was drilled down through the cover so the screws hit the top of the threaded steering gear. I drilled them out and the lock unscrewed like an original cover. When I put it back, I tapped the steering gear threaded area and used some oval headed screws in place of the hidden screws. Hope that helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration