OT - "The Book of Sports Cars" 1959

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - "The Book of Sports Cars" 1959
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

Downloaded this tonight, "The Book of Sports Cars (United States and Italy)" by Charles Lam Markmann and Mark Sherwin. The book lists 25 American and 17 Italian sports car makers, from the beginning of motor cars through 1959.

The usual suspects make the list, including Mercer, Stutz, Duesenberg from the U.S., and several well known Italian makes such as Maserati, Fiat and Alfa Romeo. The only "modern" U.S. car listed (in 1959)? Corvette.

Oh, did I mention, a Ford model is featured. You'll never guess which one.......

A few of the selections

Locomobile:

Stutz:

Duesenberg:

And Ford:

Also pictured are two Model T, a 1911 French bodied racer and 1912 Torpedo, and the 1910-1912 Ford racing creation with a 400 cubic inch T style motor:

Too bad they included a Chebby........

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

I think the car they identify as a 1912 torpedo is a 1911 torpedo,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Rob, I'm always amazed at the stuff about Model K's that you find.

Keep up the good work!

I'm really looking forward to that book you're going to do some day about Model K's! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Yea Rob when you print your book just be sure to include the chapter about how much money Henry lost on the Model K! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Tom, I thought the same thing due to the rectangular tank. I suspect the authors used a Ford drawing to represent a torpedo roadster. The Ford racer also went at least 112 mph during a recreation of the original 999 mile record on ice.

Keith, I hope to put something together at some point, maybe an e-book? I've got so much material now it will be difficult to cull down to something reasonable. And then, there's the question of my ability to put multiple subjects together into an understandable format....... (In other words, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to write a book)

Denny, I'm about to take you off the email list........and don't give me those smiley faces..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Well if you take me off your email list I can cancel my internet service because your the only friend I had before I posted above. Ok no more smiley faces. :-( :-( :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Actually, I sent an email to that author (every Model K lost Ford money) to ask permission to post portions of the book on this site.

Besides, if I take you off, I'll only have two other friends left to email........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Your wife and your daughters don't count Rob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

LOL!
The title for your book could be:

"Rewriting History, The Unauthorized Story of Henry Ford's Great Success"

Of course, you would have to work up to the companies financial reports showing that the model K in fact did make a large profit for him. And then that that profit helped him to make the moves needed to achieve his ultimate dream, the automobile for the common man.
There also needs to be at least one chapter on other people that had the same dream. Orient (became Metz), R E Olds, Maxwell, and Billy Durant (bought Buick and Cadillac) all had similar ideas before 1905. They all failed to outperform Henry Ford. R E Olds failed in two major companies (Oldsmobile and REO). Would Henry have succeeded without the profits from the model K? We will never know for certain.

Those parts of the story could be placed either before or after how the public and press viewed the model K, depending on how you wanted to present things. Your closing chapter (or epilogue) could be about how, and maybe why, historians perpetuated the myth of the car's failure.

I would love to read that book!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Denny,
Not funny. True, but not funny........:-)

Wayne,
I think I've found my "ghost writer." Great ideas. I've collected a lot of period information, and I think the caliber of K owners, performance achievements such as the 24 hour world record, along with Ford audits would provide background support of my theories. I just need to find the self discipline to begin laying things out, then ask for editing help.

Thank you for the great ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Rob

I will still be your friend. Everyone needs at least one friend in this world who knows how to smile. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Rob, Consider starting the self discipline part in the back of your head now, then next winter do a rough chapter/ topic layout. Then take it from there and do each chapter one at a time.

Just a suggestion of course, but I'd really like to see it. I'd volunteer to help proof read it too. No smiley face.......

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Rob,

Since I can't read I could proof all the pictures for your book. No smiley either since I'm not allowed :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Put me down for an autographed copy. Not sure how you do that with an e-book. Maybe I'll print it out, staple the pages, and ask Rob to autograph it at NL-NB or Hershey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

Don't 1911 Torpedoes have a round fuel tank????
That has a rectangular tank..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:30 am:

The square, or rectangular, fuel tank is shown in a lot of early literature. But it was only used on the very early 1911 (maybe even made in 1910) torpedo roadsters. The majority of 1911 torpedoes did have the round tank. Very few if any true original square tank torpedoes actually survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Keith,

I have thought about a layout quite a lot. I would like to focus on the accomplishments of the model, such as the 24 hour record and racing wins. Next, the financial aspects (made money each year for Ford).

I would probably tie the six cylinder racer into the story, since I think the racer brought about the idea of the six cylinder car.

I think I would finish with the varied people who owned the cars, and their personal stories.

And Denny, there would be lots of pictures....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration