Reading Ammeter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Reading Ammeter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Any tips on how to read an ammeter? I start my car and the meter settles at "10" on the Discharge side. This is both on BATT and MAG. It moves to the right some when I switch on the headlights.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

It is wired backwards. Take it out and swap the wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Phil
Could also be the battery is installed backwards?
Which way is the battery installed? Is the negative side of the battery grounded? If so Royce is correct.
If the battery is installed correctly this is one of the most common Model T wiring errors; getting the ammeter wiring correct.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Phil - from your profile, you have a 1924 (similar):
electrical

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I'll check my wiring. I do have the battery with negative ground.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

By the way, after you get the wire switched you need to drop the output on your generator, 10 is a bit too high 5-6 would be better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Phil
Give me a call tomorrow and I can help.
Ron the Coilman
859 881 1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:50 am:

The wiring diagram above (Fig 415) while electrically correct and will work it is physically incorrect and part of the common wiring errors found in the Model T Ford charging system.
I suggest you use this diagram which is correct and how Ford wired cars.It is the only wiring diagram I will use when helping others with Model T electrical problems.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Here's Ron's diagram without the paper.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration