Trunk floor 27 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Trunk floor 27 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

How is the trunk (turtle deck) floor fixed to the body - welded, riveted, screwed in place? I don't have the steel floor, it was replaced with wood many years ago. The body doesn't have any obvious marks where the trunk floor would have been attached. Maybe it was just squeezed between the body extension and the turtle deck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

My 27 roadster trunk floor is riveted to the turtle deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Little rivets all around the perimeter of the metal floor, into the sub rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Mine are as Dan said riveted to the subframe/ subrail with small steel rivets.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Kilmer on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

My '27 turtle deck had the floor riveted to the sides like Bill described above. It all came off in one piece leaving just the bare frame and cross pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:45 am:

This seems to be another difference between early and late 1926/27 production. It would be interesting to get some data points from cars with known serial # to learn when the change was made :-)

My improved runabout body was bought in pieces, the main part seems to be early, while the turtle deck seems to be later style with the floor riveted to it. Another thing that seems to have changed is the placement of the four attaching screws to the seat back - no chance to attach the turtle without taking it apart and attaching each side separately - but then the gap for the lid was much too wide. Lots of adjustments was needed to make it fit :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:42 am:

My car is September 1926 production.

The shipping and import duty for a USA made trunk floor will cost between 800 and 900 Dollars so I need to know if it is going to fit properly. A local body maker wants more than that to produce the piece to fit.

These two styles of floor are different, maybe because of the production differences mentioned above? One has a hump for the rear crossmember, the other does not. One forms a square corner at the front end, the other curves upward.

The rear body channel on my car forms an "L" shape as can be seen in the following images:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Eric, I see you saved the picture of the trunk floor I made for my old '27 roadster. The trunk floor really wasn't that hard to make. The only part I couldn't handle with simple sheet metal tools was the embossing. I was able to find a artist/blacksmith shop that let me use their Pullmax machine. The Pullmax is the only machine that can produce a embossed-like raised bead with a 36" throat capacity. Other than the embossing, all the other features were made in pieces and welded together. It did take a bit of time and a little head scratching, but it wasn't that bad to make in my garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Thanks for the details Kevin. Yes, I have been scouring the internet for anything related to the trunk floor. Did you need to make the "hump" for the rear cross member? I can't tell if the square area in the picture is that area or not.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration