Rear spring oilers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear spring oilers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

The repo flip top oilers when installed in the rear spring leaf cannot be opened once the shackle is installed. In my case this is on a 27 Roadster. Maybe the earlier cars do not have this problem since the shackles are different. The end picture in the following thread shows the oiler jammed against the shackle. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607785.html?1454524002

Is there a special oiler that needs to be used on the rear spring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I have the same problem on my front spring. I think that the spring has lost some if it sprung and has flattened out some over the years so when installed in the car the weight flattens it out more so the oiler is under the perch. You can try installing the flip top oilers so the lid opens from the in side. There should be just enough room to get the tip of the oil can in. Could also be the case that when installed the modern ones sit higher above the spring leaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

The repro oilers sometimes don't fit down, so you just get by. Other times you can drill the oiler hole a bit bigger, so the oiler will fit down deeper. Found most times the lower oiler should be placed for the lid to lift up from the outside. That way the oil can tube can just fit to the rim.

Installed this lower oiler backward, so its very hard to lift the lid now, difficult to oil this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Dan, where did you find that oiler? It looks to be MUCH shorter than the ones that I have gotten from the vendors over the years. With the ones that I have, you can't even install the shackles, let alone open the oiler lid. They wouldn't even fit if you removed the lid. I had to leave them out on my TT front springs. The ones on my mostly original '25 coupe look just like yours. I would really like to find some of those. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 06:28 am:

For mine I found two old 1/4" oil hole covers that had been machined from steel stock and cut off the 1/4" diameter shank. The remaining 5/16" diameter body is a good fit in the spring hole and allows them to be driven in clear to the cover hinge. Plenty of room to open the lids now.
Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:03 am:

That photo above is not a good picture to share. The shackle is in backwards, and the oiler needs to be turned around so it will open. I noticed the photo you posted of your shackle, and it is not a Ford part. Perhaps the dimensions are different?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:43 am:

My car has none on the front or rear spring. Has anyone considered taking a pair of scissors and a fridge magnet to make a cover for the hole and ditch the oiler completely? The magnet keeps the dirt out. I smeared some black RTV on the magnet (allowed it to dry) and it seals it keeping the oil from running out as well. Use a black magnet and it isn't even noticeable. Those oilers are a PITA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Larry

Yep....thought when I posted the picture of the rear shackle on Dixie, my '27 touring, someone would comment on the wayward shackle, 'Original Smith' was in my mind :-)

Just like the looks of an original shackle, and when at swaps am always buying good or NOS ones too, not the reproductions, as they can be good, but some, like the stamped ones, aren't,

So turned it facing back so all could see!

This should make you feel better:

Oh wait :-( This photo has a non-stock speedster up-turned main leaf spring eye....egads Larry, don't look!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

If you raise the car by the axle about six inches and place jackstands under the frame, then let the axle back down, the springs and shackels will move towards the center of the car and thus exposing the oilers. Now you can oil the springs with plenty of clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

So are the shackles mounted in the same direction front and rear, that is to say, the threaded section faces toward the rear of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Frank, all of the oilers that I have won't even fit in the are between the spring ends and the perch, let alone open up. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Eric

Correct, that is the way the U-shaped forged shackles go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 03:55 am:

Thanks! I had no idea about the rear shackles going in that way.

Is there a technical reason for it, or is it only for facilitating production on the assembly line?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:04 am:

The nuts being on the rear, rather than on the front, are somewhat shielded from road debris. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 05:22 am:

Too bad the picture doesn't show the spring leaf oiler :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 05:22 am:

Too bad the picture doesn't show the spring leaf oiler :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I haven't ever tried it, but I wonder if you got a hardwood stick, and placed it under the spring and raised the spring a bit if it would give better access to the oiler? A tire iron would do it too, but might scratch the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Dan Treace, where did you find those short oilers? Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Just old stock I guess. Most times at swaps you find old ones, with smooth lids, no makers marks like the new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Eric

Here is a picture showing the oil cup in the rear main spring, and how the shackle fits too.

David

Seems like I have to do more shopping at swaps for oilers, supply is down:-(

One thing you can do is trim the barrel shorter, I remember doing that at times, or drill the oiler hole bigger so the large upper end of the barrel is fitted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:51 am:

Thanks Dan. This is one thing that has puzzled me for many years. What do the show car guys use for these oilers? They surely don't just leave the oiler holes empty do they? Do they find original oilers that fit? I don't understand why the vendors don't have these, at least as far as I know. Although trimming the barrel and drilling the holes bigger would work, that shouldn't be necessary. Surely someone could come up with an oiler that would fit. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:03 am:

David

Guess not much demand for perfect fitting oiler, its just a steel radiator shelled black Model T, the low cost universal car anyway :-(

The 'show car guys' T's don't use those measly steel flip tops, they have fancy brass! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Maybe there is a way to squish part of the wide section of the reproduction oiler body down to size and then cut off the excess length.

I'd rather avoid drilling the hole in the spring leaf oversize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

At least we can get good enough oil covers made in the USA. The vendors usually stock Triangle brand. 5/16" size oil spring loaded oil covers.

There are Gits brand, China, but they are real big, and metric size doesn't work either.

Can't seem to find any other mfg. of oil covers around, its a dying product :-(

Here is print of the Triangle off their site, for measurements. Thankful we can even get oil covers in 2016! And USA made to boot. Ain't complaining, just figure out your own way to fit these. Even if you have to lift the body up so the springs hang free to get clearance :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration