Oil Petcock Valves. What am I mising besides some marbles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil Petcock Valves. What am I mising besides some marbles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Took my brass oil petcock valves off during disassembly and took them apart for cleaning. I've got them cleaned up and trying to put them back together, and the theory eludes me.

Valve stem with oval handle slides down into the valve body. A small spring slides on the bottom stem of the valve stem, a small washer goes on the very end and a small cotter pin slides in and holds the washer and spring from falling off the bottom.
But, what purpose does this spring and washer and cotter pin serve. The valve stem cannot be removed or shake off because they are held on by the sping and washer and pin. But any force that the spring provides, pushes the valve stem up and out of the valve body.

I may not be explaining this correctly, but I'm just not seeing whay a spring to apply force that makes the whole assembly looser, not tighter.

Lead me to the promised land!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

If you are assembling it correctly, the spring will be pulling the valve handle tighter into the body of the valve. This is what it should look like:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Look a little closer, the stem has a taper to it and can only go in one way. You are missing the washer that goes between the spring and the valve body. Note that the washer next to the body is large enough to cover the stem hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

I think I got it now. I'm either missing two washers, or the two I have for the two petcock valves go next to the valve body, not out on the end by the cotter pin.
The spring pushes against the body washer and the cotter pin and keeps the valve stem in place, NOT pushed out.
Both washers I have fit next to the valve body, so I'll find some generic washers for down by the cotter pin or go without one at that location.

But I'm on the right track.

Thank you both. The photo was a help as well as the narative.

TO THE BRASSO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Robert: If using only one washer, be sure to place on cotter key end of spring, There should always be two washers placed as shown in Dennis' post. respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Don't forget, the early ones use a wave washer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration