Two T's are Better then One

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Two T's are Better then One
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

This weekend I'll know if I'll be acquiring my grandfathers 2nd model he had, it's a 1911. My uncle has graciously decided to give me the car to keep my 16 coupelet company. So far I've not told this to my wife because I wasn't sure of all the details and finally have them all resolved.

Mainly it would be storage of the 1911 as I only have a two car garage. But I've secured storage and plan to find a more permanent location in the future.

Here is the only good picture I have of it. It's been in dry storage in my uncles garage since the late 80's. He's always had it covered and I think he cleans it once in a while.

I'm pretty excited about this as I have never asked him about the car and it was his own decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:32 am:

I have room in my garage, so if you have any problems with your wife, I will take her off your hands. The car, not your wife. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:39 am:

What Dave said. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:41 am:

There's Dave, takin' one for the team ! What a pal ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:03 am:

Philip, I hope you realize just how fortunate you are to have these cars that your grandfather had. Just having these two cars is wonderful, but to have the history and family connection is priceless! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Philip,

That is great news. In all the excitement be sure to remember that Valentine’s Day is this Sunday. Doing something special for the wife -- will usually make the rest of the story go better. And I wouldn't recommend giving her a 1911 instead of flowers....unless she already really likes Model Ts. Good luck and congratulations on your new T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:58 am:

You gotta be one of the luckiest guys on the planet Philip. That's a situation we can only dream of, best of luck !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Whoa. A 1911. Niiiiiiiiiiice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Ditto to all that. What I wouldn't give to have one, let alone HAVE it GIVEN to me!! Enjoy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Valentine's day is our anniversary, not sure if another old car is what my wife wants lol.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, hopefully I can report back with good news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Philip-
How wonderful for you! I love my 1911. It is a blast to drive and easy to see out of, even when the top us up. 1911 is a fascinating year because there were so many production changes from the beginning to the end of the year. If the car was before serial number 70,920, you can get a build sheet from the Henry Ford Research Center for twenty bucks.

https://www.thehenryford.org/research/productionRecords.aspx

Does your uncle know any history of the car? When did your Grandfather buy the car? Did he get it new? Sometimes tracking down the history of a car (and old photos) is as much fun as tracking down parts for it!

Although this may be unchartered waters for you, there are a lot of 1911 owners here on the forum who can provide a wealth of information and guidance. From what I see of the one picture, it looks like some restoration that has been done, and I see some correct original parts. I am anxious to see more pictures!

Your wife will enjoy the ride.
Here is a Valentine for her:

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I bought our 13 model T for my wife and she likes the gift. We were married on Friday the 13th, 46 years ago. Her only complaint has been....Why do our old cars keep multiplying? I thought the REO was the only early car you wanted?...Smile! I am not dead yet and still counting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I believe my grandfather bought the car in the late 40's/early 50's. Yes the serial number is below 70,000 off hand it's 53400 or so. All I know is he bought the car in David City Nebraska. Not sure if that was its origin point.

From what I remember the car is original with replacement parts, it was his touring car so it was driven frequently unlike the coupelet which he put away in storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

I love my '27 T touring car. I have had a succession of antique, hot rod, and special interest cars. The T is the only one that she has liked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Oh my word, THAT is a beautiful car. I have always had a soft spot for the brass era/early cars. Maybe some day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Out of curiosity; what year was the last year of the windshield support rods? 1912?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Matthew, yes. I have a '12 with 'em, and a '13 without 'em!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:30 am:

After you have two T's, you buy another! I didn't plan on it, but it happened!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Well it look likes I'll have two t's in stable after this summer. Wife wasn't jumping up for joy when I told her but she's ok with it. She said as long as her car is in the garage she's happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Philip B, You are one lucky man! For the wife, and the cars. I mean, I really don't know about the wife because I have never seen her, but both of those cars are fantastic!
Extra special when they are family heirlooms.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Here are some more photos of the car. Couldn't get a full shot because it was packed in the corner of the garage with other vehicles around it.

Serial number on the engine is 53,344 or 53,844 hard to tell from the picture I took.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Something about that gas cap just don't look right on there, let me take that off your hands. : )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration