1927 Model T front fender differences

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1927 Model T front fender differences
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

I have recently noticed a slight difference in the 2 pairs of front fenders I have and was wondering if it's just that one pair is Rootlieb A/M?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

As you can see in the pics, there are a few Slight differences in them. I would upload the other pics but system is not letting me at the moment lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Ha! Figured it out........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Robert, I have seen some differences in the fenders.

1. Different gauge of material, very early 26 had a thinner material, and cracked easily.

2. area where headlight bar attaches can either be embossed or plain (flat)

3. There are at least three different re-enforcing straps where the fender meets the splash apron (Ill show photos of the three different I am aware of)

4 I have seen subtle differences in the shape and contour of the bends and seams (similar to what you are showing)

5 I have no comparisons to Rootlieb fenders to have any thoughts on that matter.

This is probably the early 26 style with no re-enforcement and was changed because of cracking.

This is what I believe to be the second style, and has a short re-enforcement

This is the third style used in the bulk of production and is the most common style I have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Donnie:

Tom C. gave us some pictures of the three types of front fender reinforcements. We should thank him for the time and trouble for him to round them up and put pictures of them on this forum.

Thanks, Tom!

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Arnie, I agree. A lot of the photos I have and use are from many different T owners and forum members. Without their help I could not even begin to do the studies of the Improved Models. I sometimes forget who gave me what photos or who posted them, but I do appreciate any and all help from everyone. Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Thank you both for the responses. I guess it makes sense that things would/ could be slightly different when you consider the manufacturing process back then.

The one set I have are so clean, that it's hard to believe they are almost 100 years old! Which is why I thought they may be A/M from an older resto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:32 am:

My headlight wires were run through a crudely made hole in each front fender even thought the hood shelves have a cutout where these wires can cross under the hood.

Did any of the 27 models run headlight wires through the fender?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

No, that is a bolt hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

It must be a carriage bolt that goes there? A hex head would look out of place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Carriage bolt it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Hah! Now I have to redrill the holes since I had the body man fill them before painting... :s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Beneze on Friday, February 26, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Robert, when I restored my 27 coupe which has been in my family for 65 years, I ordered a replacement right front fender from Rootlieb to replace one that was pretty dented from n accident my dad had many years ago. When it arrived I noticed it was different in the areas highlighted in your photos.

On the Rootlieb fender, the flat part extends further to the outside of the fender, as should on your photo on the left. The original fender has the profile like the fender on the right. There likely were differences in the original production of the 26-27 T's which might explain why the Rootlieb fender was not an exact match to my original.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration