1903 Ford Brochure

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1903 Ford Brochure
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Years ago an older lady gave me this 15 page brochure. It tells all about Henry Ford and this newest self-propelled vehicle.It is interesting.
It is a reprint from long ago and in excellent condition.Does any one think it has any value?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

If you are planning to retire on it? No.
But yes, it does have good value. I am not familiar enough with the book to give any kind of appraisal. From the look of your post's pictures, it does look like a very neat piece. A reproduction or not, it would be a great addition to any of many a collector's collections.
I hope you find it a good home. To me, preserving our early modern age history is what this hobby is all about.
And it is probably worth something. Whether a few or a couple hundred I couldn't say. The real size, number of pages, overall quality, and specifics of all photographs are all important considerations for appraisal.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

If it's original. I'd be interested in buying it. The printers name should be in the first couple pages or the back page?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Hi Wayne, I'm already retire and very much enjoining our wonderful hobby. Thank you for your response. Temp. tonight at our house -10. Keep cool.
Kim, this is a picture of the back page. If you would like more pictures email me at abelling@charter.net Thanks Al

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

Albert B, Thank you. I have been in this hobby almost fifty years now. It has always struck me how often people will come up with some "rare" old thing and be absolutely convinced that they will retire on the huge amount of money they should be granted for it. Usually, it is a fifty dollar part, or a model TT truck that they want Stutz Bearcat money for.
Neat looking book! Thank you for showing it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 05:56 am:

Nice brochure - even if it's a repro from 60(+?) years ago.
Is the car called the Fordmobile anywhere in the brochure? I've seen that name in one old newspaper ad and I'm curious wether it was used anywhere else?

http://www.adbranch.com/first-steps-of-ford-motor-company-in-business-and-advert ising/ford_fordmobile_boss_of_the_road_1903/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 06:43 am:

Albert,

Polyprints reprinted many of the early Ford brochures and they were for sale in the 1960ish and later time frame. One very nice thing, the Polyprints went to the trouble to make the brochure the same size as the original and it looks very similar to the originals. At least for the NRS&SR ones that I have seen both of.

Note I did not see that one still listed for sale in Lang's catalog on page 10. They have all types of sales reprints that are still available and range in price from $4 to $9.25. In general when something is still available new, that will set the upper amount someone will pay for the item. In this case, they may be out of print in which case they are often worth a little more than the new price.

Roger,

Yes the 1903 Ford was initially referred to as a Fordmobile in very early Ford advertisements. But that lasted for only about 2 months and the name was dropped. Note other companies used similar names - Hupmobile, Oldsmobile etc. (Ref page 6 of 47 chapter 3 of "Pate's Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia" -- great read and lots and lots of information on the 1903-1909 Fords. Available from the author as well as our club. -- see: http://www.earlyfordcars.info/ ) If you find Fordmobile used in an advertisement etc. after Jul 1903 please let us know so we can update that information.

No, the 1903-04 brochure apparently did not use the term Fordmobile. The text and photos of the brochure are available on line at: http://www.mtfca.com/books/1903-4.htm and when I did a search for Fordmobile it did not show up. I did not look through the pages, so it might be there but spaced out i.e. F O R D M O B I L E or part of a picture rather than text – in those two cases my word search would have missed it. And I could have typed it wrong when I tried the search. Take a look there and you can confirm or correct my initial search.

That early Model A was what paved the way for 15,000,000 Model Ts. A very exciting time in automobile history – who would win – steam, gas, or electric? They didn’t know yet.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Here are some other Polyprints Books. They were available in the late 60's or early 70's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

These two pages are from the brochure. I thought you guys would find them interesting.Wayne you're right I have seen old coils for 100 dollars or more. I may send this to Bill Ford for a new F150 4x4. I read that he has the only 1903 around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I remember a few of those series book reprints. They always looked very nice. Thank you for sharing more of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Gary Hoonsbeen, the editor of the Curved Dash Club had many CDO document reproduced and are barely distinguishable from the originals. He reproduced about 100 booklets and advertising brochures, I think I had most of them but they went with the CDO a few years ago.
It shows they can be done at fairly modest cost if time is not an issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

1 & 2 Cylinder REO registry also did most of the REO booklets. Extremely nice.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration