OT - Doodlebug Hauler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Doodlebug Hauler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Retterer on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

This past summer my son and I were asked if we were interested in an old truck that belonged to our neighbors.

The truck has spent it's entire life within a 5 mile circle. The original owners bought it without a cab and then mounted a wooden water tank and a small spray rig, complete with homemade galvanized pipe spray booms. The truck spent many years spraying potatoes.

After the truck had sat for around 30 or 40 years the owner told a friend of mine that he could have it if he would pull it out of the dirt floor shed that it had been sitting in. My friend never did much with it.

Not long after this the truck was sold to a neighbor who had recently retired (Bud). Over the next few years Bud tinkered with the truck and got it running. Since he was a carpenter by trade he built a plywood cab and bed. The truck used to putt around the back roads on nice days. About 25 years ago the truck was parked in the driveway under the trees for the last time.

A little over a year ago Bud passed away. During calling hours one of his sons asked if we would be interested in the old truck. They knew we liked to drag old stuff home and sometimes even got it to run again. We didn't want to pursue this at a time like that we so we let it go until the timing was a little more appropriate. Then this summer they contacted us and deal was made.

The decades sitting outside didn't do it any favors.

So, I hope this isn't sacrilegious to talk about a 1930 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck on the Model T board!

Since bringing it home I've removed about all of the plywood add ons (I still have to pull off the front fenders). I've had the engine turning over and it has compression, but I do not have spark. The transmission isn't shifting so we'll have to pull the cover off and see what's going on in there.

The goal will be to get it going good enough to haul the Model T tractor to some local tractor and car shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Todd, that is really cool. But how about some nice detailed pics of that tractor? I have only seen a couple posted here over time.

Do you intend to make a flatbed style truck to haul it? How long/wide is that little tractor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Todd pulled a good one on me about a year ago with that tractor. Had me hooking up my flatbed and mapquesting Edison, OH! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Retterer on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Loading pictures seems to give me fits on here, I think my files are too big.

Here's a link to my photobucket page, it has all of the pictures I have at the moment.

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/boaski/library/Model%20T%20Tractor?sort=2&page= 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Think I'd trade the Shaw for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Retterer on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

I haven't decided on the bed. I'm thinking it will be a flat bed with an open cab. We also have an old trailer that you can see on the second page of the tractor pictures that would fit well on the truck frame since it was shortened to clear the pump that used to be on the back.

The thing stopping us from putting the trailer steel bed on it is that our horseless carriage project won't fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

A friend of mine has a Chevy flatbed truck project from about the same time. It's even painted in the same shade of green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 05:22 am:

Todd, whatever you decide to use for a bed, remember that steel wheels on a steel deck don't play well together!:-( Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration