New Day Timer Brush Tension Quick Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New Day Timer Brush Tension Quick Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Moving right along on my 26/27 engine reassembly. Opened up by bag of the New Day timer parts and the cover/cap is the correct, good one, Do Not Oil and almost black in color. Good brass shield, washer, pin and nut. But...

The brush that fits into, what I will call the rotor, just sits in the cleeve loosely. No spring or tension to push it out towards the brass contacts onthe inside of the cap. Round ring at the base of the rotor to fit on the cam, then a stem and then a rectangular housing that the carbon brush fits in and slides around a little. But no outward pressure.

Is there supposed to be a spring of some sort behind the carbon brush? Has the brush worn down and gotten sloppy in its housing?

I see the new brush assembly is for sale by the vendors, but I'm wondering if anything is wrong with mine before I get a replacement.

I'll hang up and listen. I can post some photos if they are necessary to guide me further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Yes, there should be a spring behind the contact, you need a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I used a ink pin spring on my New Day. Works good. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

OK, thanks. I'll see if I can figure out a way to remove the brush and place a spring in back of it and reinstall, or I'll order the new brush and rotor from one of the vendors.

Cheaper than the $89 for a new timer. Cup looks good.

Thanks, guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Robert

That brush is removed by pulling the tiny pin that holds it in place, the spring is behind the brush. Many times that pin gets wobbly in its blind hole in the brush and can fall out, that will let the brush get loose as the coil spring then is free of its resistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Dan, I know the pictures you posted above are not the same timer! I wouldn't use the Snyders timer. I understand they don't hold up well. The upper photo is an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Robert, I also used a spring from a ball point pen. Works good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration