17 rear end inner seal how to remove

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 17 rear end inner seal how to remove
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Guys any tricks to remove the inner seal on a T rear end without taking it all down
Yes I got the sleeves out
And want put in antique motor sports inner seals
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Depend on the seal there, bright light look will give you a hint.

Could be the metal petal shaped washer and leather seal used in the later T's. If its a modern neoprene, it will come out the same way.

Fish around with some strong hook, grab it and pull along the axle shaft.

Got this bent and torn modern out that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

These are the old style
Will be giving it a go over the weekend
Thanks much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I had old style in one of mine I dug out last year...as I recall I just kept going at it with every long, hooked thing I could get, I think a modified coat hanger ended up working best.Took a while and lots of cussing, but it finally all came out. You definitely want to use the modern neoprene seal. Before installing it, clean the lip inside the tube good with lacquer thinner, then lay a nice bead of the black oil resistant RTV around the edge of the seal then shove it in and leave it sit overnight to set up. This helps to keep any errant oil from seeping around it and out into the hub. Learned this little trick from our famous Ohio friend Joe Bell.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration