Size reduction software needed for upload

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Size reduction software needed for upload
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:05 am:

What software do yall use to reduce the size of your pictures to upload on this forum? I'm having trouble with it? Thanks, Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:30 am:

I use Irfanview free down load. Just a couple of clicks to reduce to forum size. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:56 am:

Mac or Windows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:00 am:

Windows

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Thanks Pat. I'll go a looken....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:16 am:

picresize.com

reduce your picture 75%

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Microsoft Office Picture Manager does really well and is easy to use. Comes with Microsoft Office software.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Ditto what Richard says - the Microsoft Office program that comes on your computer is ridiculously easy to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:52 am:

I've been using this for years to resize photos.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:38 am:

This is what I have been using for several years .. no problems yet. I re-sized 153 pictures at once in about 7 seconds and then put them all in one post....

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/82827

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Rand, it's been a while since I used a Windows computer since I finally got fed up enough to switch to a MAC (and never go back)...but as I recall, once your pics are loaded onto your hard drive, once you locate them, all you have to do is a right click on the pic, then a menu pops up which I THINK (gettin harder and harder to remember now) has an "edit" link, and from there you can navigate around on it to re-size. Once you pick up on it, as I recall, it was very easy to do. About the only good thing I ever saw regarding windows programs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Thanks for all your responses. I'll get one and start posting pictures with my questions. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Tim, I did the same as you a few months ago and switched to Mac. I'm still learning a lot of new things about it and working with pictures seemed to be a lot easier with a PC than the Mac.

Irfanview is not available for Mac. I just downloaded XnViewMP 2 but I don't see how to resize the pics easily. What do you use to view and edit pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Just use Preview (native and free with Mac). You can easily export photos to any size/quality that you choose. Do it all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 10:54 am:

I use Adobe Photoshop. Just click on size and reduce it to 72 resolution. I use a separate file for the pictures I post on the web so that I don't permanently reduce the original pictures.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Eric, I find the Mac easier because it tells me what size the file will be BEFORE I click OK. With windows I never found a way to do that. I always had to resize the photo to find out what the file size would be, and if it was wrong, do it over.

Here's how I do it using the Mac software. I'll use a photo I shot last night when I was stacking firewood in the garage.

Make a copy of the picture to resize so you can keep the full size original. To make a copy, first click on the file to select it.

Press command/C, then command/V. This makes the copy.

Double click the copy file to open the photo. I hope I'm not over-complicating this, but the picture is too dark to suit me, so I'm going to lighten it. I click Tools at the top of the screen.

Next I click Adjust Color which opens the color adjustment.

I increase Exposure to lighten the image.

Now I'm ready to resize. Click Tools.

Click Adjust Size.

Notice that the bottom of the box shows Resulting Size. To change it I adjust the Height. I use height because I don't want my picture so tall that you have to scroll to see all of it. I find that a height of 720 pixels or less will fit the screen. I adjust the height to the highest number of 720 pixels or less that will give a resulting file size of 250 KB.

In this case 560 pixels is the largest height I can use to get a file size of no more than 250 KB. If I went to 561 pixels the file size would go to 251 KB and the forum software wouldn't take it. So with 248 KB the largest size I can use without going over 250, I click OK and I'm done.

The photo uploads and is large enough to be seen, but not too large to fit the screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Eric..Steve & David pretty much covered it. You can also google it for a quick instructional video. Real easy once you do it a couple times. Like Steve said its nice to see what your new size will be before you okay it. But for some reason when I check the size again in the new resized picture it is usually a bit larger. So when you resize to fit the forums 250 kb limit I suggest you resize to around 220 and your posted pic won't get thrown out. Trust me, I know!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Tim, I should have mentioned that. My experience has been that as long as the Resulting Size is 250 KB or less, the supposedly over-the-limit size you see later is no problem. Example: When I look at the file size of this photo it's supposedly 352 KB. But When I resized it the Resulting Size was 250 KB, so the forum software sees it that way in spite of the larger number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Steve, I was using the first field which offers seven different combinations of pixels which seemed limiting. I also didn't realize that the Mac is able to calculate the size BEFORE clicking on OK. This is a very helpful feature that I will take advantage of from now on. No need to make things more complicated than necessary!

Thanks for your help guys! I'm well on my way to getting the hang of this Mac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Paint PAINT " Paint "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Nah, Photoshop Rulz Forever !

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

If you are using WINDOWS, you may have and should have a paint feature. If so, open paint; click resize; drag your picture from the picture file that it is in; and resize as needed. To post on email or the Forum, I reduce to 25% of the original size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

Using a set percentage, you're at a slight disadvantage.

This is at 25% and measures 707 x 540 pixels.

This copy was made by adjusting the height for maximum file size under 251 KB. It measures 738 x 564 pixels.

The latter method produces a slightly bigger image, but in most cases not enough bigger to matter. The real advantage of the Mac method is the convenience of seeing the final result before you resize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

why not just fix it,outer sites dont have this problem.if you need some$$$ let me know.ha ha charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:27 am:

I have struggled with re-sizing photos with bad results. I have even lost some photos trying to do it.
My camera is an older Sony Cyber Shot that takes pretty good photos. I discovered that it has a setting for image size VGA(E-Mail). If I want to take photos for posting, I use that setting and they come out at about 150 KB. They still have pretty good detail. Here are a couple examples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 06:00 am:

Holy smokes Steve, you go to computor school?

Simple solution, whoever the kahuna of this site;
just change things like other sites. I use to
put pics here but no more.

Upload attachment *
Browse *
click on a pic *
click upload *

Done = easy aint it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:03 am:

samuel glad to see i am not the only one that thinks this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:50 am:

Hey Charley you see Georges bendix new post?
Picture sizing ther ya go; how does he get away with it? ????? ??????
Maybe per chance this site contact Ford Barn; no
problem there with pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Computer school? Ha! In 1999 I decided that I needed a website for my business. I bought a lime flavored iMac and a scanner and set about learning how to use them. I started working on the website at the end of August. I finally got it working Thanksgiving weekend. That's how fast I am with computers.

In 2012 I bought a Windows laptop to use when traveling. Two years later I was happy to sell the SOB because I was never smart enough to make it work right. I am definitely no computer whiz. But using the Mac to resize photos ain't brain surgery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:29 am:

samuel, also wokr& mtfci sites& e-bay just click,click, done. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Before I resize a photograph, I make a copy with web added to the file name, then I work on that copy. If I screw up (it happens!) I still have the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 02:58 am:

Using Donnie Brown's suggested program. Took a loooong time to down load on dial up. Hope it works. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 03:02 am:

Iam back! Ya! :-) I have tried several suggested programs in the past and this is the first one to do the job. My old program that I was using was slow and really very cumbersome.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration