Replacement spacer for differential

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacement spacer for differential
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

I'm in the process of putting together yet another "T" rear end. I've built many many differentials in the past and had absolutely no problems. I'm curious if anyone has ever fabricated a bronze or aluminum spacer to take the place of the little fiber washer between the inner ends of the axle shafts. I realize the end play would have to be checked first, then the spacer made accordingly to take up the proper amount of end clearance, (allowing for expansion when warm and oil clearance). Those little fiber washers don't last very long and my theory is a metal one would be quite a bit stronger. Any thoughts??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I machined a piece from aluminum bronze to replace the fiber washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

I found a quarter fits pretty nice once you get the thickness right. I spread my axles out to accommodate some hydraulic brakes on my speedster and I believe I have $.75 in the rear end. I've been running it that way for probably 15 years with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Brilliant! Since you almost always have to use two fiber washers, and Lang's sells them for 50 cents each, you save 75 cents by using the quarter (not to mention saving on shipping charges).

What do you think, mister thrifty? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

I use a steel flat washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

I use a brass $1 coin, custom ground on my linisher belt to get the correct thickness.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

I've heard of using a ball bearing supported by the the two centering holes in the axles. I thought about using a washer with a hole just large enough to hold the ball bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

I used those brass girly booth slugs put it in little snug and they wear in nicely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Thanks for the input guys!! Let me get this straight, if I put three quarters in the differential along with three nickels in the block to act as freeze plugs, then my '22 Touring has to be worth at least 90 cents. If times really get tough I'll have to make sure I don't take a penny less than that for it!!! And they say auto repair is just nuts & bolts. I guess it just makes "cents" to ask questions on the Forum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

All kidding aside guys, since no one has anything negative to say about alternatives to the fiber washer, I'll probably machine one out of either bronze or aluminum. The decision will be made when I inventory my shelf of turning stock. Thanks again and happy motoring to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 03:02 am:

I recently finished rebuilding the rear end for my '15 runabout. I used a common flat washer just like Royce suggested. I tried a couple for fit and used the one that fit the best. The rear end had a nice looking original, but they don't always hold up after 100 years.
Remember also. There really isn't much motion between the two axles. Except for a little on turns, or if you run the corn chopper off one rear wheel, the axles and differential carrier all run forward as a unit most of the time. I know for a fact that many Ts have been run many miles with no washer or spacer between them at all. Not really a great idea, but the spider gears will do an adequate job of holding the axle spacing.
Unless you chop a lot of corn.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Don't forget the penny as a spacer in the pan ball socket

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration