Split rim question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Split rim question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

I have a set of rims on my 26 ,when I use the rim spreader to mount the tire, one side of the split gets real close to the air valve , and I cant shrink the rim too much because it will hit the air valve
Question , is this built this way as to not shrink the rim too much or do I have non Ford rims???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Lorenzo, I just mounted five tires and figured this out by necessity. You need to push the valve down inside the tire so the end of the rim can continue moving past it. Put a cap on it to protect the threads on the valve stem in case it pushes up/outward again while you're working the rim. The cap may be destroyed by rubbing on the rim but it's a good investment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Get one of those metal valve stem caps with the chain and "T" handle on it. After the rim is place you can pull the valve stem back into place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Thank you Eric. Good show

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Hi Lorenzo,

Perhaps this will help you:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 04:15 am:

Bill, I used those instructions to get the proper placing of the spreader on the rim. They were essential for me. Thanks for posting.

Mark, can you post a picture of the metal cap with chain? I'm not familiar with that. It sounds like a better alternative to my scraping and ruining plastic caps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration