OT - Climbing Mt. Everest from base camp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Climbing Mt. Everest from base camp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Mt. Everest From The Ground Up This is undoubtedly the closest any of us will ever get to the top of Mt. Everest.

KEEP AN EYE ON THE ELEVATION, LEFT SIDE OF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN,

AND THEN MOVE THE MOUSE WHEN YOU GET TO THE TOP TO SEE A 360 PANORAMIC

VIEW. It's almost like being there and there's a 360 degree view from the top!

Go to: http://everestavalanchetragedy.com/mt-everest-journey.html

After loading, click Start the climb
Later click Continue to the summit.
At the top, move the pointer right or left only minutely.

Explication of Hillary Step at the top https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Step

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 06:40 am:

Well I will live my life and NEVER have a desire to climb a mountain. Helicopter ride is a different story...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 07:32 am:

Eugene, That was beautiful. I have never seen pictures like that.
When I was younger,I climbed Mt. Washington in New Hampshire in the winter. That was quite a experience. I have done a lot of parts of the Appalachian trail that runs from Maine to Georgia.
I love mountains and Model T fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I think I will take the cable car. When is the next one scheduled to depart?

Nice site. Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Eugene: Thank you so much for posting that video. My son-in-law is a climber, and I saved it for him. He very much enjoyed and appreciated it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

I just finished Hillary's book and another about the ill-fated 1996 expeditions. Fantastic view of the terrain on the climb up!! Mt Everest has claimed a lot of lives over the years...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I've heard it's so crowded during the season you might not even make the top! Too much traffic. Any body have an idea what it would cost from scratch? Must be in the 6 figure area by now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

I'm waiting in line at the bar at the bottom for the elevator to show up. in the mean time I am enjoying some ice cold beir.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Thanks Eugene for the link. My daughter Sarah & I trekked to base camp in 2012. The summit is still a mile higher than base camp which is approx 18,000 feet.

This is taken from the top of Kala Patar, a rather little mountain (hill of 18,500 feet) you hike up to see Mount Everest because you can't see Everest from base camp. Everest is the highest point above my daughter's head.

In this motley crew, my daughter, Apa Sherpa (a living legend in Nepal who has summitted 21 times), our guide Lhakpa, me, Dawa, Pasang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Link to our blog Our Blog

Link to pictures Our Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Charlie, you asked about cost.

The headline for 2016 is that the high-end went higher and the low-end went lower. The price range for a standard climb, i.e. non-custom, ranges from $30,000 to $85,000. This is driven by low cost Nepali operators getting a foothold in the market and the traditional western operators adding more services to differentiate their product. In other words, climbing Everest has become a mature market just like cars or airplane flights.

From here Cost to climb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration