Found My Perfect Motor Oil Today at Dollar General

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Found My Perfect Motor Oil Today at Dollar General
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Saw an article on the TV the other day about Dollar General being sued over false advertising by selling obsolete motor oil and not clearly marking the containers that the oil should not be used in cars with engines built after 1988. Small print on the back of the 10w40 and 10w30 motor oils. Who reads the fine print on the back?

While picking up a quart today to use as a show and tell exhibit at my Military Vehicle Preservation Association club meeting, my wife was looking for one of these quart containers. She picked up one that was non detergent 30w motor oil and, honest to God, the back label siad not to use in gasoline engines built after 1930!
She looked at me and said, "who would buy this crap?" I thought of my 26/27 Model T engine and just smiled.

I wouldn't run this in my Model T. But at least I know what the market is for this oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

I've never seen a quart of motor oil at the dollar store (Dollar Tree). I've only seen 12 oz. bottles.

I use SAE 30 non-detergent in my unrestored roadster. Most auto part stores carry it.

30 years ago I worked at a gas station/convenience store. We stocked and sold a lot of non-detergent SAE 30. It was mainly bought by poor people and kids who drove heaps that burned a lot of oil. For under a dollar, they could buy a quart of non-detergent and keep driving their car. The cheapest non-detergent SAE 30 was usually reclaimed/recycled oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

True story - one of my brothers worked for a few years at a corner gas/repair station in Ferguson, MO (!). One day, a customer drove in saying that his engine was making a weird gurgling sound. My brother pulled the dipstick and it was wet to the top. So, he wiped it off, inserted and remvoved it again, and same thing, wet to the top.

He asked the customer about it, and the customer told him that the cap on the engine said "Oil Fill", so he filled the engine up to the top of the valve cover!

My brother explained to him that to fix it, he would have to drain out the gallons of oil that the customer had added, change the filter, then put in 5 quarts of fresh oil. The customer thought for a few seconds, then said, "No, you're just trying to cheat me!" and left with his engine still gurgling and full of oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

My friend borrowed my push mower then brought it back and told me he had blown it up but it was part my fault. He said he had to put 2 1/2 quarts in it to fill it up. Same thing, he filled it to the top of the place where the dipstick screws in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:01 am:

We used to buy re-refined oil for .25 a quart, it was in glass bottles with a funnel cap, we found the refiner and bought it for .10 per quart, there was so much smoke a bug couldn't survive when we were passing by.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:24 am:

My first car was a fat fendered 1948 Plymouth coupe. Ugliest thing I ever owned but it was mine for $75 and I earned every penny to pay for it. It burned about a quart or so of oil with each gas tank fillup so I bought "refined" oil from glass jar filling stations that sold it for cheap. I think it came from drippings from oil cans that were laid in a trough along a wall and all "empty" quart oil cans were put in that trough and drained every last few drops into a tank at the bottom of the slanted trough. Most filling stations had those in the 50's and early 60's. I did lay down a cloud of slightly blue smoke but it ran and I sold the thing for $50 a few years later when I got a 1953 Ford. That was followed by a 1955 Ford Sunliner convertible - now that was a quail magnet and I learned the importance of having a cool ride when quail hunting :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

One of those stories reminds me of someone who regularly filled his engine to the top with oil. Smoked like a train. Never learned despite repeated tellings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

In the late 70's my buddy and I were out driving his T around Kansas City. The engine started making a knocking noise so we checked the oil level and found it was low. We stopped at the first place that had motor oil and my buddy bought a quart of recycled oil. As I poured it in the engine I could see it was already black - but it worked to stop the knocking noise. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Those imperial gas stations that had the glass jars of re-cycled oil would also sell a 2 gallon plastic jug of the same oil. I had a old chevy that used tons of oil so I put a layer of oil dry in the rear floor board & kept that jug right behind the drivers seat.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

When I was 17 i put that recycled oil in my 1959 ford truck with a 292 at our local station. The station was a stone building left over from the 20s. It needed oil every time you got in it.... It used a lot of oil. It was great at the time, it was mine! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

I think we've all owned a car that we would pull into the local service station to fill the oil and check the gas.

Does anyone call them service stations anymore? Or even gas stations for that matter. Just convenience stores that happen to sell gas as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

My daughter had a 2 year old car and took it to one of those quickie oil change places. When she drove away she noticed it smoking a lot and pulled over and called them and they said to bring it back. Turned out two boys changed her oil and each one put in the correct amount of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

So what would you save by buying that stuff? 3 or 4 bucks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

NOT EVEN! Bought a bottle today because I just had to show it to my Military Vehicle Preservation club meeting this Saturday. We bought a 12oz bottle of the non detergent 30w and a jug of ammonia for cleaning. The bill was $4.25 at the Family Dollar.
The receipt shows the Ammonia at $1.00 and the oil at $3.00 for a 12 oz bottle. That's roughly $4.50 a quart! That's synthetic oil prices, not junk oil prices.

Here's the back of the bottle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

easier on my tired eyes:

http://www.warrenoil.com/

then

(Products > Gold Band > Motor Oils)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

My grandson is telling me he want's to change the diesel pick up to synthetic and i just bought 5 gallon of Rotella 15 40 at 60.00 Oil is cheap,engines not so much! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

when I was a kid I had a 2 cycle bike 50cc. I used to drain gas out of my dad's car and go to the gas stations and drain the remnants of oil from discarded cans in their dumpster. I would eyeball-mix it with my gas to what I guessed might be a 1/25 ratio. You could follow my smoke trail all around the neighborhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

SAE 30 non-detergent is not "junk oil."

The real problem is some folks don't know what to put in their modern cars because they don't read the owners manual and they don't read the label on the bottle.

SAE 30 non-detergent oil is usually available at most auto stores - house brands as well as major brands such as Valvoline.

While we're on the subject, single weight, non-detergent oil is good for things where non-detergent oil is specified, such as bearings in electric motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Several years ago I had a chance to ride "Fireman" on a steam locomotive that was using dirty reclaim oil to fire the boilers. You talk about smoke.....PU.....J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Erik,
Didn't mean io imply that 30w oil was junk, just that the no name off brand low cost oil being sold at the dollar stores was probably not the highest quality.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration