Help with a new 30x3 clincher tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help with a new 30x3 clincher tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Hales on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

What is the best way to mount a 30x3 new non skid tire. it seams I can't get it to go on the wheel. also the new tube is just a bit to big it is kind of pinched in the tire. it dose not lay flat like just a bit to big. new from the venders. is this a problem.old tube is marked 30x3 the new one is 30x3 30x3 1/2 posable same tube for both front and back Thanks Tim Hales from Saginaw.mi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

I remember here on the forum in the past that the trick is to put the new tire over a mounted 15 inch modern tire with the air out of it. Then blow up the tire and in the process stretch the clincher tire. Don't know if this works, I have always left the wheel mounted and muscle it on with lots of tire irons. Be very careful not to pinch the tube or you will get the experience of a second round!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Clinchers are a lot easier to mount if they're warm. I've always mounted them during warm weather after laying them out in the sun to heat up. It makes the job much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

In my experience, the 30x3 NON-SKID clinchers are smaller than other brand/models in overall circumference, (though the measurement at the beads is the same). _They're pictured here side by side and you can see the height difference.

In other words, there's less room inside a NON-SKID than would be the case of, say, a regular tread Firestone.

Now, putting a 30x3 1/2 inner tube inside 30x3 tires wouldn't usually be the very best idea, but with NON-SKIDS, it would be an even less good idea. _I think that, for a 30x3 NON-SKID, you really do need to use the proper, readily available 30x3 inner tube. _I should also mention that because the inside of a NON-SKID is less voluminous, it becomes much more difficult (or in my case, impossible) to fit a protective flap in there.

Now, if, as a kid, you've mounted new tires on your bicycle, that experience will stand you in good stead when it comes to mounting a Model T clincher. _If, however, you don't have any experience at hand-mounting skinny tires, I'd suggest you get some experienced help, else you'd be much more likely to puncture or pinch the inner-tube. _The tools I use for mounting tires include a rubber mallet, talcum powder, a couple short tire-irons (to be used as little as possible) and a few extra-large C-clamps (which I try to use as much as possible instead of the pinchy tire-irons ). _It always helps to warm up a tire before attempting to mount it and during the winter, in your neck of the woods, that becomes especially important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Hales on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Thanks Bob for that info I wonder if using the old tube about 30 years old would be ok it fits in perfect nothing wrong just old. I thought I would get a new one but surprised at the 2 sizes listed on the new tube when it came I called and got the info that that was the only tube that they had?..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:25 am:

I just recently pulled out a 30X3 1/2 tube from a 30X3 tire and was amazed that the tube was still ok. It was an old Wards tube, which was made by U.S. Tire and Rubber Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Tim,

I keep using old tubes until there is a reason not to. You need to find a different place to buy tubes, there are proper sized ones out there at any reputable tire dealer.

Here's the easy way to install the tire:
http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/32845.html?1314150377

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Bring the wheels down here to San Diego. It has been like summer for the last week. Or maybe you could take them inside the house with the heat on. Try putting one side of the tire on the rim first, then pump up the tube just enough to keep it's shape but not to stretch it and work it into the tire. Next, if you are using a flap put the flap between the tube and the tire on the inside of the tire. Next install the second side of the tire. It works best if you have two people and at least 3 tire tools. As you work the tire into the rim, hold one tool at the edge of where the tire is in the rim and work the tire further onto the rim. The trick is to hold the tire so that it doesn't slip out. Start opposite the valve and work toward the valve. After all is in, be sure to rotate the tire on the rim so that the valve is straight and then inflate. Next let all the air out and inflate again. When you get it to about 20 lbs bounce the tire a bit to get the tube to straighten out in the tire and then pump to 60 lbs and you are ready to drive on it.

Just one thing I forgot to mention, A 30X3 1/2 tire does not fit a 30X3 rim. Vice Versa. You probably know that, but just in case.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Hales on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Thanks Norman for the information been a long time ago that I put the firestone non skid on. had a flat about 10 years ago and bought a new non skid and a tube but I don't recall this much trouble. the wheel is off the car now till spring. It is in the warm basement now soon we will see the sun I hope ....Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration